Absolute beginner - advice please!

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

JK

Absolute beginner - advice please!

Post by JK »

I am thinking about taking up air pistol shooting as a hobby/sport. What should I be looking at for my first pistol? I would eventually like to enter competition and club events. Thanks.
Bill Poole

Re: Absolute beginner - advice please!

Post by Bill Poole »

: What should I be looking at for my first pistol?
For MY first AP, I went right to the top, Morini CM162ie. The two AP shooters I admire most use this gun. One of them shoots in my club...
Go join your local club and see what the top shooters are using, one advantage of having equipment of the same type is there is someone to turn to if there are problems, or questions (like "how do you adjust such and such", or "I forgot my fill adapter, can I borrow yours?" re:("just use my spare cylinder John, that will save you a walk to the scuba tank in the other building") :) )
Another thought is if you live near one of the big AP stores (Nygord, Pilkington etc there are only a few in the continent) go see them, u can try your hand on the various grips and triggers, and have someone knowledgeble standing next to you as u try them. For instance, it has been posted that a top shooter from up north, who is cross-dominant eyed (right hand, left eye) needed to set aside the Morini for a gun that has an adjustable grip (Steyr i think it was)
The top AP's each cost $1100 and you'll spend another $300 on pellets, targets, a trap, a tank & yoke (or pump).
If you are serious and want, and can afford, the best, there are advantages to only buying your equipment once.
On the other hand, if that is beyond your budget, I will defer to others to recommend a more entry-level pistol.
But get good pellets, and surprisingly, good targets make shooting more enjoyable, the holes cut more cleanly.
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
If you are in Arizona, contact me.
bill-at-poole.com.47454.47436
Len

It all depends on you

Post by Len »

I would take Bill's advice and go to some clubs/matches and see what's out there. Often times there will be dealer tables" or guys selling used guns.
If you are the sort of person that wants to jump right in but doesn't want to spend thousands, making your decision to follow the sport based on your time with a gun I would suggest an IZH 46m.
They are great little guns, very accurate for the money and have decent triggers. The grips are a bit clunky but you can adjust them a bit.
The nice thing is the gun only costs about $250 and is self contained in that it doesn't require the SCUBA or Co2 stuff. All you need are pellets and targets.
My izh likes Nygord and the RWS Hobby...yours may be different.

Jay V

Re: Where are you located?

Post by Jay V »

: I am thinking about taking up air pistol shooting as a hobby/sport. What should I be looking at for my first pistol? I would eventually like to enter competition and club events. Thanks.

If you post your location, you may get a reply with info about a club in your area. Some clubs can be difficult to locate, also try the NRA and USA Shooting web sites for affiliated clubs in your area.

Jay
jverg-at-att.net.47457.47436
akihmsa

Re: Absolute beginner - advice please!

Post by akihmsa »

The 1st thing I would do would be to read the interviews with the top shooters that is on pilkguns under the olypics heading. There is some real insight there. Be sure to read Warren Potter's ideas. On your 1st piece of equipment that is a tough one. I don't think you will see much difference in your scores at first between a low end Daisy and a high end Olympic style 10 meter gun. Once you can hold the 8 ring or better all the time then you have stuck with it long enough to ask yourself honestly where you want your shooting to take you. I teach 4-H shooting sports and beginners focus way too much on the equipment instead of on their Front site, trigger control and consistantly gripping the gun the same way every time. The top of the line equipment is important to those who are over 550's, for the rest of us pride of ownership is the main attraction.
Whatever you decide to do remember to have fun or you probably won't stick with it. It is a hobby or a competition that can last a lifetime!: I am thinking about taking up air pistol shooting as a hobby/sport. What should I be looking at for my first pistol? I would eventually like to enter competition and club events. Thanks.

Fred

LINK for IZH

Post by Fred »

Norm J

Gamo Compact

Post by Norm J »

: I am thinking about taking up air pistol shooting as a hobby/sport. What should I be looking at for my first pistol? I would eventually like to enter competition and club events. Thanks.
I like mine; don't think pilkguns has it, or I would of course link to them ...
Norm
normj1969-at-yahoo.com.47516.47436