David Levene-Question???

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob Riegl

David Levene-Question???

Post by Bob Riegl »

Since you are an UK resident---my question deals with the differences I see in several of the Free Pistol used in the UK. I do not see these contraptions advertised here in the colonies. At first glance they appear to eminate from the rear of the gun and extend backwards. Please satisfy my curiousity if you will.
fishnshoot-at-optonline.net.47419.0
David Levene

Re: David Levene-Question???

Post by David Levene »

: Since you are an UK resident---my question deals with the differences I see in several of the Free Pistol used in the UK. I do not see these contraptions advertised here in the colonies. At first glance they appear to eminate from the rear of the gun and extend backwards. Please satisfy my curiousity if you will.
Under our laws we are permitted to posess, with a licence, a 22 pistol providing that the barrel is at least 300mm long and the overall length of the gun is at least 600mm.
The barrel is not really much of a problem as most of the manufacturers are nearly at 300mm anyway. The main problem is the overall length which ahs to be achieved without add-on accessories. The manufacturers had therefore to develop a method of permanently fixing counter-balance arms to the pistol which must not be easily removeable. By extending these arms past the rear sight they have also given the opportunity of improving the balance by adding additional weights.
Another problem with our laws is that it is not permitted to modify an illegal firearm to make it legal. The addition of the counter-balance arms must therefore be carried out by the original manufacturers before the guns ever leave the factory.
I have not shot one of the new "longarms" myself but, speaking to some who have, once you get used to the increased weight (I believe about 1400g), they have no obvious disadvantage compared with the traditional guns.
I hope this helps.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.47420.47419
Brian Silvester

Re: David Levene-Question???

Post by Brian Silvester »

: Since you are an UK resident---my question deals with the differences I see in several of the Free Pistol used in the UK. I do not see these contraptions advertised here in the colonies. At first glance they appear to eminate from the rear of the gun and extend backwards. Please satisfy my curiousity if you will.
I now possess a Morini Free Pistol with the rearward counterbalance rods, my original Hammerli 150 was confiscated by the UK Government - you no doubt know the story. Initially, it seemed strange with the two rearward tubes, but after time they are just part of the pistol. My experience with the new pistol is that the rods are beneficial to the balance of the pistol and makes it point with the sights in absolute position. However, it only goes where it is pointed. A good shooting tool!