newbie in the club - help wanted

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
emre-nur

newbie in the club - help wanted

Post by emre-nur »

Hi to all,

Couple of days ago, I got my first AP. Next week, I will go to a club.

It seems like the club I intend to go has all electronic targets. As I am a beginner, now I wonder, what happens when I hit the white/yellow but not the rolling black paper? Will they replace the "mask" each time I have a flyer or can I just mess up with one throughout my entire session?

I guess I will also pay for it, right?
This all seems like a pretty embarrassing situation, making me hesitant to go until I expel more at home (probably doing wrong things).

Any comments, tip or advice from seasoned clubbers?
Thanks!
Gwhite

Re: newbie in the club - help wanted

Post by Gwhite »

Don't worry. I'm sure they are used to beginners. I've never heard of anyone charging for replacement masks.

Any holes outside the black will be left there until you are done shooting. Don't let it get to you. Concentrate on making the next shot a good one, and forget about any previous mishaps.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:10 pm Don't worry. I'm sure they are used to beginners. I've never heard of anyone charging for replacement masks.

Any holes outside the black will be left there until you are done shooting. Don't let it get to you. Concentrate on making the next shot a good one, and forget about any previous mishaps.
thanks! this is a bit of relief :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

The range officer(s) will descend upon you filled with righteous indignation, flailing you about the head and shoulders with clubs and abuse. (And these are the NICE GUYS.) This is because they are used to dealing with wretches like yourself.

Be afraid! Be very afraid!!!
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Rover wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:11 pm The range officer(s) will descend upon you filled with righteous indignation, flailing you about the head and shoulders with clubs and abuse. (And these are the NICE GUYS.) This is because they are used to dealing with wretches like yourself.

Be afraid! Be very afraid!!!
that's even more relief, I have Rover's blessing :)
rmca

Post by rmca »

emre-nur wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 pm that's even more relief, I have Rover's blessing :)
Nothing can stop you now!!!
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Rover wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:11 pm . . . these are the NICE GUYS . . . .
At Winter Airgun Colorado Springs 2019, quoting range officer Marc: "Would the shooter WHO JUST SHOT THE WALL - Please raise your hand."

Marc also got on me about intentionally "scoring a zero" by shooting out the speakers if they played another Village People song.

Go to the match & HAVE FUN!
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

Some use little white stickers used for 25/50 pistol targets and cover flyers while training.

And remember the classic Zen-wisdom:
“To land a pellet in the black, one should aim in the white”

Cheers!
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Photo on 07-06-2021 at 10.41 #2.jpg
A 15 shot trial. Hope wont do worse in the club— probably will.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, I'll take pity on you and give you a tip.

Don't give into panic and start changing your sights during a match. Use one of your sighter targets to "back up" your match targets. After about 30 shots, look at the backer to get an idea of where your group is and then make a change. Do it again, and again, and again, ad nauseum.

Using electronic targets, just remember the basic principle.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Rover wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:01 am Well, I'll take pity on you and give you a tip.

Don't give into panic and start changing your sights during a match. Use one of your sighter targets to "back up" your match targets. After about 30 shots, look at the backer to get an idea of where your group is and then make a change. Do it again, and again, and again, ad nauseum.

Using electronic targets, just remember the basic principle.
Thanks Rover.
But I guess, I am far from a match. I am an expat in Brussels, this first visit is more to become a member and get acquainted. I dont know how things work. Maybe, I hire/take a lane and shoot some, or learn about available coaching and beginner activities. I am 46 and kind of first time entering into such ambiance. I have to admit, a bit intimidated.

Will keep you updated.
Last edited by emre-nur on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Don’t be intimidated. New shooters are the future of our sport and every club should welcome them.

Bob
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

There isn't a shooter in existence that has never had a snow bird.
They will welcome you.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

You are truly fortunate to have an actual air pistol/rifle club near you. I would gladly pay for masks destroyed by me were there a club near to where I live in Vermont. And I would undoubtedly be supplying a fair number of masks per month. :-)
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why bother with those silly masks. Does your underwear filter your farts?
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

B Lafferty wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:11 am You are truly fortunate to have an actual air pistol/rifle club near you. I would gladly pay for masks destroyed by me were there a club near to where I live in Vermont. And I would undoubtedly be supplying a fair number of masks per month. :-)
+1. Range I am member of does not allow air guns at all. The next closest does allow them, but shooting next to somebody with .45 (though it is still better than AR allowed in member's area) is not very enjoyable (OTOH it has a chance to improve your concentration skills)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

UnGe wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:26 am
B Lafferty wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:11 am You are truly fortunate to have an actual air pistol/rifle club near you. I would gladly pay for masks destroyed by me were there a club near to where I live in Vermont. And I would undoubtedly be supplying a fair number of masks per month. :-)
+1. Range I am member of does not allow air guns at all. The next closest does allow them, but shooting next to somebody with .45 (though it is still better than AR allowed in member's area) is not very enjoyable (OTOH it has a chance to improve your concentration skills)
Out of curiosity why don't they allow an air pistol? I have never heard of a club that had that restriction.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:55 am Out of curiosity why don't they allow an air pistol? I have never heard of a club that had that restriction.
They claim that they had cases of ricochet (I am pretty sure that this could've been only BB, but they say that pellets too). Whatever, I am not extending my membership there. Not sure I am buying any full membership in any nearby ranges, my guts do not like AR shooters nearby
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

UnGe wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:11 am
brent375hh wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:55 am Out of curiosity why don't they allow an air pistol? I have never heard of a club that had that restriction.
They claim that they had cases of ricochet (I am pretty sure that this could've been only BB, but they say that pellets too). Whatever, I am not extending my membership there. Not sure I am buying any full membership in any nearby ranges, my guts do not like AR shooters nearby
The 7" and 11" ARs are brutal on my ears indoors, even when using both earplugs and muffs. Not conducive to good shooting. I never shoot anything but target loads indoors.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 am Why bother with those silly masks. Does your underwear filter your farts?
I'll wager that you're a Toot Tone user. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7IEzQn ... aradaAulas
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh