Pellet wax

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bill177

Pellet wax

Post by Bill177 »

Does anyone use pellet wax products such as KryTech to coat their pellets? What are the advantages or otherwise?
bill177-at-airguninfo.com.47350.0
Frank H.

Re: Pellet wax - more an issue for faster guns than 10 mete

Post by Frank H. »

The problems waxing helps with, avoiding leading etc, seem to be more appropriate for the faster PCP's & springers than the approx 600 fps for 10 meter target guns...
Your best reference for how Krytech helps would be posts from last year by Larry Durham's on the Delphi forums, I just looked for what had been the most complete thread but I think that was on the "anything goes" airgun forum that shut down as of Jan 1st.
I don't think you'll find many if any 10 meter shooters who bother with waxing their pellets. But many (probably most) Field Target shooters do.
Frank H.
: Does anyone use pellet wax products such as KryTech to coat their pellets? What are the advantages or otherwise?

bestnet-at-mail.com.47384.47350
Len

I wouldn't

Post by Len »

The real need for wax or lubing pellets is more important in the high power PCP games where soft lead and high speed equal leading.
Typically the "best" pellets (previously the CPH and CPL now maybe JSB or Kodiak Match) required washing and then relubing.
There are various ways to make this happen and many people have methods to make this work and do it differently.
Some use oils, some use waxes, as you have mentioned, but they are dealing with guns putting out 900 FPS, heavy to light pellets, and unknown distances. Wax is used mostly for spring pistons (less chance of detonation)and seems to cross over ok for PCP's. If you are shooting a match with an airgun that conforms to NRA 3.6 or ISSF 7.4.0 and 7.16.0 you would want a pellet that is exactly the same as the next and putting wax on them may make it different enough not to help in the pursuit of a world class match score.
Here's a link to how to do it the Mac-1 way. It is interesting to note that they use Krytech as their relabeled pellet wax. There should also be one from the A-team...it includes hair dryers, soapy water, and lube but I can't find it.

Bill177

That's what I was looking for

Post by Bill177 »

Both the reply posts indicated only needed for very fast stuff. Most of my shooting is 10 meter paper punching - so I guess it will remain that I just use R10s and Nygords.
Thanks for the info.
bill177-at-airguninfo.com.47407.47405
Frank H.

Yep - If you're mostly 10 meter, with match wadcutters, you'

Post by Frank H. »

You're take on this is right, if you're mostly at 10 meters and not pushing fast pellets for Field Target etc, all of the "good" 10 meter wadcutters are just fine right out of the tin.
Frank H.

: Both the reply posts indicated only needed for very fast stuff. Most of my shooting is 10 meter paper punching - so I guess it will remain that I just use R10s and Nygords.
: Thanks for the info.

bestnet-at-mail.com.47443.47407