New to open sights. Need help.

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

RonM

New to open sights. Need help.

Post by RonM »

I have my first air rifle with open sights, a CZ631, and need some assistance. Shooting offhand 2" metal spinner at 25yds, I find that my hit ratio is actually substantially higher with the open sights than with my higher quality scoped airguns. I find myself over correcting with a scope.
However, trying to sight in, rested, at 15 yards proved to be difficult. With a scope I can produce ragged holes, but with the iron sights I was getting nickel sized groups. My target was an NRA official 50' rifle target. I'm trying to find which pellet my gun likes best. Can anyone provide advice on maintaining a consistent sight picture or recommend a target that is easier to test with?
The CZ631 has a front post inside a globe. The rear sight is a notch, mounted at the barrel break.
Thanks,
RonM
GaryN

Re: New to open sights. Need help.

Post by GaryN »

I have a 631 also. I put a red-dot sight on it.
Try using a target where the bull appears to be approx the same width as the front sight post. That way you can better align (left/right axis) the front sight to the target.
CONCENTRATE and FOCUS on the front sight, NOT the target. While it may seem to be difficult, that is how you get the best scores.
By the way, nickel size groups at 45ft with open sights is not too bad.
Gary
RonM

Post by RonM »

Focus on the front sight. Guess I got that part wrong. Been focusing on the target. Thanks.
RonM
Gary

Post by Gary »

Take your time. It takes a lot of concentration to focus on the sight, as it is human nature to want to look at the target.
gud luk
Gary