New to air pistol---ordered a LP500

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
emre-nur

New to air pistol---ordered a LP500

Post by emre-nur »

Hi to all,
After improvising with some Baikal Co2 pistol and 46m (way too heavy ) for a while, I ordered a Walther LP500 basic from Germany.

I developed an interest to air pistol during Corona. So, I had no chance to go to a club and try real PCPs. After much reading here and there, this basic LP500 for 1.099 Euros seemed like a good bargain. It is kind of upgradable. I think, other than the absorber, all other features in high-end models are available. No need to mention pricy.
https://carl-walther.com/sport/products ... rced&pid=1

It is 870 grams and after trying IZH 46m, I know I need a light one.
I also ordered a turbo gehman pump—no idea whether a feasible choice.

So, I [would like to hear how much I messed up.
I can still change my order, I guess.
Comments are welcome.
northpaw

Re: New to air pistol---ordered a LP500

Post by northpaw »

emre-nur wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm I also ordered a turbo gehman pump—no idea whether a feasible choice.
A pump? Naah.. been there, done that, - have had 2 pumps. Not good. Go for an air tank, man! Saves you from stuggle, and moisture in your air sylinders (and gun) , and...
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell, what is "not good"?
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

emre-nur wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm Thanks for the reply. Can you tell, what is "not good"?
Yeah; with a hand-pump, featuring a humidity filter, or not, you get moisture in your air sylinder, and hence, moisture into your delicate Walther 500 gun. A scuba tank, on the other hand, filled by a reputable company, contains drier air.That is good for your gun. Besides, hand pumping takes some effort. Boring in the long run that is.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Sorry for my ignorance but, can you fill the tank at the club through a compressor or a larger tank, OR dive shop is the only choice?
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Good call on getting the LP500. I got an LP500 Expert/Electronic a few months ago and it's an incredible piece of kit.

As far as the hand pump goes, I have a different opinion than most of the TT forums. First of all, lots of people call hand pumping annoying or difficult- I call it "exercise". Not something to avoid.
As far as the potential for the pump getting moisture into your gun, I think that's probably overstated a bit too. I've had a Feinwerkbau P44 for nearly 7 years, hand-pump-filling it the entire time. A few months ago when I re-sealed it, the inside was absolutely pristine. No sign of any corrosion at all. I live in the SF Bay area, and you may have heard there's occasionally a little bit (a lot) of fog here. So it's MY OPINION that the risk of water damage from a hand pump is pretty minimal as long as you take care to space out your pumping and avoid heat buildup.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Many thanks for the positive remarks.
Indeed, I exercise regularly for a stronger hold ( I have been sedentary for years and my arms/shoulders are weak). So, a little effort wont be bad.
Though, I changed for the turbo pump when the seller advised that it was easier. For pump, I did not have much choice other than gehmann and went for it.
Regarding LP500, mine does not have all the fancy things like gas ports, compensator, absorber but I thought should be ok for a starter. Still, the same trigger and grip.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

emre-nur wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm Sorry for my ignorance but, can you fill the tank at the club through a compressor or a larger tank, OR dive shop is the only choice?
Nowadays, larger (air)gun clubs in Europe have a high pressure compressor, to charge their 300 bar 10 to 12 litre air tanks. Usually you may be free to fill your private air cylinders at the club.
I shoot a lot, and have purchased a high quality german made high-pressure compressor. My PCP high velocity air rifles consume a lot of air. My Steyr and Walther APs consume much less air than the rifles.
About moisture from hand pumps: I have heard reports about interior corrosion in the regulators of APs, where pumps have been used only to charge air cylinders. Wonder why interior parts in regulators are not made solely of corrosion resistant metals, in those costly APs.
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Where in Europe are you? In the Netherlands I’ve found even clubs with tiny air pistol shooter numbers will at least have a scuba tank or two with standard fittings for filling, if they don’t have a compressor.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Rudi wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:40 pm Where in Europe are you? In the Netherlands I’ve found even clubs with tiny air pistol shooter numbers will at least have a scuba tank or two with standard fittings for filling, if they don’t have a compressor.
Hi,
In Brussels. I was living in Tilburg.
I miss the Netherlands in every sense :(