KK300 advice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Solo52

KK300 advice

Post by Solo52 »

Good morning all,
I’m looking for some advice on what to do about a KK300 that I’m giving to my daughter.
She loves the fit of the rifle, and shoots it well for short periods of time, but the weight is killing her.
Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith that can either cut the current barrel down, or rebarrel? As info, the current barrel is factory 650mm x 22mm, very accurate, but very heavy for her.
Thoughts on either solution are appreciated.
40xguy

Re: KK300 advice

Post by 40xguy »

don't know your daughter and so can't offer any thoughts about her size relative to the rifle....
however, conventional wisdom (?) says 20 or 22 inches is about the shortest barrel length you'd want to go, which won't really make a substantial difference in weight. imo, I'd consider the setup and try to determine if she is using muscle to hold the rifle or if her setup is such that she is using her arms and body to make a "stand" on which the rifle will sit. there's a BIG difference.

here is an excellent article on setting up a rifle, hope it helps !!
https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek056.html
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

If you want a shorter barrel any good gunsmith can fit one. I'd pick the gunsmith, and ask their advice on what brands they find work well and are available. There are a few threads on this forum about gunsmiths.

That said, a shorter barrel won't drastically change the overall weight. I have a 24in heavy on an Anchutz 1913; it's about 6oz/150g lighter than a standard 27in barrel. The complete rifle is still about 13lb. However the change in balance is noticeable; the 24in barrel feels much less heavy. A short barrel would need an extension tube: even a short aluminium tube will weigh 4oz+, so consider that when picking the new barrel length.

40xguy makes a valid point. Do make sure your daughter's position(s) are properly supporting the rifle with minimal muscle power. It's much cheaper to fix these than to replace a barrel. For the sling positions, her jacket must fit correctly so it supports the sling; if the jacket slips over her shoulder the sling becomes slack and her arm takes the strain.

I'd also think about the stock. Modern stocks are designed for women, not just adult men, but even so petite shooters (5'3" or under) can struggle. A former British champion had her KK200 stock shortened by 15mm for comfort.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue May 25, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
spektr

Post by spektr »

As a machinist and an engineer, please humor me a bit.
I suggest there are far bigger gains to be made with a good conditioning and weight program.
Those efforts cross so many other boundaries that even if you werent doing it for shooting that the
work is SO much worth doing. You might get lucky and have a budding pole vaulter in the family.....

As to the gun, it might be a balance problem instead of a weight problem. well balanced
rifles can be quite heavy and still manageable. The previous reference to shortening the action by 150 cm
probably worked due to balance as the barrel moved AFT in relation to the buttstock. Just for giggles,
why dont you tape a couple OUNCES of weight near the buttplate and see what happens....
It very well may be a path worth exploring. Looking at pictures of all the womens smallbore rifles shows a lot of weight
taped, glued, stuck or otherwise glommed onto a lot of rifle buttstocks. I suspect the CG location really matters.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

spektr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:31 am The previous reference to shortening the action by 150 cm
probably worked due to balance as the barrel moved AFT in relation to the buttstock.
Yes, and no. Nothing was done to change the position of the action (ie the receiver and bolt in the stock). That would be a major job. Instead the butt was shortened behind the grip. Yes, this would have moved weight back, and the point of balance forwards. However, the real motive was to reduce the minimum LOP by 15mm* so the shooter could reach the grip and load more easily. From memory the cut was made behind the LOP adjustment, a 15mm slice cut off, before the butt was welded back on (or whatever process is used with aluminium).

I know of other shooters who have vastly improved the balance of their rifle by winding in the butt, although this was by a lot more than 15mm.

*15mm, or 0.59in. 150cm is 4ft 11in.
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

Kind of a sidetrack yet kind of related to the OP's question about having a gunsmith install a shorter barrel perhaps: I believe Walther bonds their barrels into the receiver, does anyone know what the process is for removing the old barrel? How is the "glue" undone/de-bonded to get the old barrel out? And then does the new barrel have fresh glue applied to the tennon and the barrel then slides into the receiver until it hits a shoulder that controls the insertion distance? Thanks.