Carbon Air Cylinders vs ISSF rules

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David M

Carbon Air Cylinders vs ISSF rules

Post by David M »

While looking up the Walther LP500 manual I found a interesting item..
"• The compressed air cylinder has a maximum service life of 10 years.
• In contrast to aluminum compressed air cylinders, cylinders made of carbon-fiber-reinforced
plastic
(CFRP) can be retested by the manufacturer after 10 years. If no defects are discovered,
the service life can be extended a single time for another 10 years. Thus a total maximum
service
life of 20 years is possible. The permissible service life is shown on the cylinder."

I wonder if the ISSF reg's/rules will add this....?
McMadCow

Re: Carbon Air Cylinders vs ISSF rules

Post by McMadCow »

The date and serial number of the carbon cylinders are printed on the sleeve at the end of it, rather than stamped into the body of traditional aluminum cylinders. I would think that if Walther took in a cylinder to renew it, they'd swap out the sleeve and the ISSF would be none the wiser.
spektr

Post by spektr »

The law that caused the ISSF rule revision for aluminum air cylinder manufacturing date checks, does not apply to filament wound carbon reinforced tanks. They are a different Vessel Class in the PED and have different requirements imposed by the regulatory agencies......
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

spektr wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:36 pm a different Vessel Class in the PED and have different requirements imposed by the regulatory agencies......
So, what are those "different requirements" for carbon-reinforced air vessels? As an owner of a Walther 500 AP I may find that interesting.
spektr

Post by spektr »

[/quote]
So, what are those "different requirements" for carbon-reinforced air vessels? As an owner of a Walther 500 AP I may find that interesting.
[/quote]

Embedded somewhere in PED 97/23/EC is your answer. Frankly I am tiring of repeatedly going through this spec, and having decided to never own a carbon tank or electronic trigger equipped air pistol, Ill leave it to others to look it up. Like YOU, how about you parse the spec and let us know the exact answer. Thanks