Free Pistol Mitten

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Larry

Free Pistol Mitten

Post by Larry »

I was a bit cold when we shot free pistol Monday night... actually it was #$!@ cold!! shooting between uncontrollable tremors lends new meaning to arc of movement. It looks like we may be shooting in a snow storm next week. I shot one of my best targets ever, a 93. I also managed to shoot a '2' and a couple of '3's when the gun went zinging around the target.

Has anybody used one of the free pistol mittens made by Vitarbo?

Has anybody tried those infrared heaters that fit on a disposable propane cylinder?

It'll probably warm up before I can get something but there is always next year to consider. Where's global warming when you want it??
Zollman

Re: Free Pistol Mitten

Post by Zollman »

The propane heater works okay if there is no wind swirling around. I used one in 2 matches. The range was "indoors", but was a simple steel-framed shed that allowed air to circulate from behind the shooter toward the target and bullet trap. The airflow was not so great as to negate the effects of the heater. I set it up behind me so it radiated on the back of my legs and so that some heat could rise up toward by back. It definately took the edge off.
Off course, my experiences shooting Free Pistol in the cold have been eerily good. A state level match in 38 degree weather, sunny and no wind, produced a 544 and first place. In Atlanta in March 1997, I shot 2 of the 3X Free Pistol matches and shot in the 540's. Anyone there will attest to the chill of Saturday and Sunday morning; Both of those days started in the mid 30's. We were all scampering for the nearest Walmart to get hand warmers and sweatshirts! The hand warmers in the pockets did wonders between strings!
Good Luck,
Zollman

Dave Suitor

Post by Dave Suitor »

: Has anybody used one of the free pistol mittens made by Vitarbo?
I have used one of Mrs. Vitarbo's "mittens" and can say that it does the job nicely. I had one for my Pardini and when I bought a TOZ, I ordered a new mitten immeadiately. Here in New England, early season free pistol matches and practice can be chilly, especially with a wind.
regards,
dms

Paul

Post by Paul »

Larry,
I'm not familiar with the Vitarbo mittens but I am familiar with freezing my #*&$ off since I do alot of shooting in the Colorado Rockies at 9000 feet.
My suggestions:
1. Use a rubber mat to stand on while shooting to slow down the loss of foot warmth that occurs while standing on a cold concrete floor.
2. Wear two pairs of really good thermal socks
3. Wear a good quality (wool if you can stand it) scarf and hat.
Your feet will get colder before almost anything else with the exception of your hands.
The majority of the body heat is lost from the neck and head in that order. You will be surprised how much warmer your shooting hand will feel if you take good care of the remaining 98 percent of your body.

Paul

: I was a bit cold when we shot free pistol Monday night... actually it was #$!@ cold!! shooting between uncontrollable tremors lends new meaning to arc of movement. It looks like we may be shooting in a snow storm next week. I shot one of my best targets ever, a 93. I also managed to shoot a '2' and a couple of '3's when the gun went zinging around the target.
:
:
: Has anybody tried those infrared heaters that fit on a disposable propane cylinder?
:
: It'll probably warm up before I can get something but there is always next year to consider. Where's global warming when you want it??

paul-at-figlialaw.com.47292.47275
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

In Alaska the portable propane heaters are a common sight at the ranges. We generally do not use the disposable bottles however. Most use 25 lb refillables and the hard core guys run a line from their truck which carries a 125lb bottle ;~)
Many .22's don't reliably go off when it gets below -10! so keeping the ammo warm becomes important too.: I was a bit cold when we shot free pistol Monday night... actually it was #$!@ cold!! shooting between uncontrollable tremors lends new meaning to arc of movement. It looks like we may be shooting in a snow storm next week. I shot one of my best targets ever, a 93. I also managed to shoot a '2' and a couple of '3's when the gun went zinging around the target.
:
:
: Has anybody tried those infrared heaters that fit on a disposable propane cylinder?
:
: It'll probably warm up before I can get something but there is always next year to consider. Where's global warming when you want it??

Larry

Post by Larry »

: Larry,
: I'm not familiar with the Vitarbo mittens but I am familiar with freezing my #*&$ off since I do alot of shooting in the Colorado Rockies at 9000 feet.
I can relate. We lived at 8000 feet, 5 miles off the main road back in the 70's. We had to haul our water in sometimes when the freeze line got down low enough to freeze the well head. This is really wimpy cold here in the Northwest, but we aren't set up to handle freezing like you are. I found my Jon-e pocket warmers and some sodium acetate bags while digging for my thermals today. I'd forgotten that I still had the things!