Feinwerkbau 2800 Bolt issue

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JoeWork1967

Feinwerkbau 2800 Bolt issue

Post by JoeWork1967 »

Any one know of problems with FWB 2800 bolt jamming. My grand daughter has been shooting the mod. 2800 for 2 years and it has jammed shut on several occasions. It has jammed on an empty chamber, a spent shell, a dud round and after a cleaning. The book is a bit confusing in detail and offers no solutions to this problem, or any mention of this issue. She is a smaller person and loves the condensed bolt and trigger action, so she does not want to switch to another brand of rifle. Fortunately the jams have occurred during practices. She and her H.S. Rifle Team just won the PA State Championship for 3-P. But, it's a worry to hope it doesn't fail during an actual competitions.
Tim S

Re: Feinwerkbau 2800 Bolt issue

Post by Tim S »

Joe,

That must be very annoying. Sorry, to answer a question with more questions. But:

1) Have you stripped the bolt?

2) Does the bolt jam even when you cock it out of the action?

As far as I'm aware the 2800 cocks on opening. As you lift the handle, you are compressing the mainspring. There's a cam at the handle that bears on something inside the bolt (often the firing pin, but not always. You say you have cleaned, but have you totally stripped the bolt? A burr or rough spot on the mating surfaces, or debris can cause the bolt to jam. The mating surfaces also need lubrication, or they can fall. I use generic "gun grease", which I think is molybdenum.

If the bolt works still binds when you cock it out of the rifle, that suggests the problem is inside the bolt. But if it cocks smoothly, that suggests the bolt is binding on the receiver or trigger.

EDIT: does the 2800 have a manual safety catch? If that is able to engage, even partially, it could lock up the bolt.
hang

Re: Feinwerkbau 2800 Bolt issue

Post by hang »

I have had no issues with mine, I asked a few questions on a Facebook group before my purchase and one person wrote this

Sometimes the bolt jams shut (unless they've fixed that too). You cannot force it open, and if you try you'll shear the bolt apart. But it's easy to fix: remove the bolt handle, fit it the other way round (like for left-handed shooting) and open the bolt the opposite way, and it'll open easily. The cause is the little ball-bearing sticking (the one that holds the extractor out the way to remove the bolt).

I have only had the rifle a few months but so far loving it.