Steyr trigger causing jerked shots ?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Deepinder

Steyr trigger causing jerked shots ?

Post by Deepinder »

I recently borrowed a friends Morini and its use has raised some interesting points with the Steyr trigger for me. I think the Morini trigger is just too good.
The steyr trigger gets soft after the sear disengages ( ie shot fires ) so if the trigger finger is not just right , the sudden release in opposing force to the trigger finger causes the pistol to shake. I saw this in my earlier Rika traces and attributed it to the fact that my trigger motion is not good enough - that may be the case - but with the morini the trigger fires in between a smooth press and there is no sudden shudder. That results in a clean shot. I will try this out with both the morini and my toz FP( which has the best trigger since its weight is under 35 gms ) on the Rika but that is my feeling from lots of dry firing and watching the sights move slightly( for the Steyr )at the time of release. On the Rika this shows up as displacement about 0.1 sec before the shot impact ( not the classic .3 sec for a pure snatched shot )
Note that the Steyr has no adjustment for after release pressure and this pressure is solely dependent on the second stage spring. My guess is that during engagement the friction of the sear leads to a larger release pressure - however after the sear disengages - the only pressure is that of the spring. Maybe it may be a good idea to lubricate the sear with Moly to reduce the friction..
What that means is that with the Morini I can just trust my hold and squeeze. However it jerkier with the Steyr and I seem to be snatching a bit just cause the whole action is not smooth - it may be just a matter of technique but I cannot help but think that the steyr trigger is what actually fosters such actions. And yes my groups are smaller with the Morini even though it is not as steady ( cause of the grip not being my right size ) as my Steyr.
has anyone else had the same experience ? I would have thought that the Steyr factory folk would have sorted this out.
ps : my after travel stop is set to aabout 1 mm of travel - could it bee that I am hitting the stop and causing the problems ?

deepinder_s-at-yahoo.com .47211.0
pilkguns

Re: Steyr trigger causing jerked shots ?

Post by pilkguns »

Sounds like to me that you need set the overtravel screw up to elminate any motion in the trigger after the sear release.

: I recently borrowed a friends Morini and its use has raised some interesting points with the Steyr trigger for me. I think the Morini trigger is just too good.
: The steyr trigger gets soft after the sear disengages ( ie shot fires ) so if the trigger finger is not just right , the sudden release in opposing force to the trigger finger causes the pistol to shake. I saw this in my earlier Rika traces and attributed it to the fact that my trigger motion is not good enough - that may be the case - but with the morini the trigger fires in between a smooth press and there is no sudden shudder. That results in a clean shot. I will try this out with both the morini and my toz FP( which has the best trigger since its weight is under 35 gms ) on the Rika but that is my feeling from lots of dry firing and watching the sights move slightly( for the Steyr )at the time of release. On the Rika this shows up as displacement about 0.1 sec before the shot impact ( not the classic .3 sec for a pure snatched shot )
: Note that the Steyr has no adjustment for after release pressure and this pressure is solely dependent on the second stage spring. My guess is that during engagement the friction of the sear leads to a larger release pressure - however after the sear disengages - the only pressure is that of the spring. Maybe it may be a good idea to lubricate the sear with Moly to reduce the friction..
: What that means is that with the Morini I can just trust my hold and squeeze. However it jerkier with the Steyr and I seem to be snatching a bit just cause the whole action is not smooth - it may be just a matter of technique but I cannot help but think that the steyr trigger is what actually fosters such actions. And yes my groups are smaller with the Morini even though it is not as steady ( cause of the grip not being my right size ) as my Steyr.
: has anyone else had the same experience ? I would have thought that the Steyr factory folk would have sorted this out.
: ps : my after travel stop is set to aabout 1 mm of travel - could it bee that I am hitting the stop and causing the problems ?

Richard H.

Post by Richard H. »

Scott are you saying that there should be no after travel? The trigger original had no after travel and I put some in, so should I now take it back out? I have noticed some of those shots that I just can't explain as well ( I shoot nowhere near as well as Deepinder so I just figured they were me).
Thanks guys and Happy Holidays to both you and Deepinder. See you in January Deep.
: Sounds like to me that you need set the overtravel screw up to elminate any motion in the trigger after the sear release.

pilkguns

two trigger theorys, and both benefit from dry firing

Post by pilkguns »

: Scott are you saying that there should be no after travel?
Yes, that is what the overtravel screw is for. there are those to believe that the trigger should have no movement afer release and therefore your trigger stop should be EXACTLY after release. This the most subscribed to theory and thus most guns have trigger stops.
the other group's theory is that your trigger finger should continue to move after the release because if your trigger finger hits a stop, then that causes you to pull the gun forward (downward) and cuase (possibly) a lower score. The downside to this onward-afterward movement , (and it varies from gun to gun depending on the triggers gemoetry), is that as soon as the trigger releases, you have less weight than before, sometimes NONE and your trigger finger starts to accelerate since it now has less resistance and obvioulsy this can cause an erratic movement the other direction . The Morini electronic os the ONLY gun without this problem, because you are pulling against a spring only and it never changes pressure, even when the solenoid makes contact, becuase you are still pulling on the same spring
Either theory requires good minute muscular trigger control that takes a lot of training to take advanatage of the benefits. This is where dryfiring is an excellant tool, practicing your sight alignment and teaching your trigger finger how to control the trigger. Personally I would use an overtravel and teach my finger to stop on command, but the either theory works well for those that diligently apply them. I suggest you read our Interview pages and you will see some of both practiced.

The trigger original had no after travel and I put some in, so should I now take it back out? I have noticed some of those shots that I just can't explain as well ( I shoot nowhere near as well as Deepinder so I just figured they were me).
: Thanks guys and Happy Holidays to both you and Deepinder. See you in January Deep.
: : Sounds like to me that you need set the overtravel screw up to elminate any motion in the trigger after the sear release.

Deepinder

Morini it is then..

Post by Deepinder »

:The Morini electronic os the ONLY gun without this problem, because you are pulling against a spring only and it never changes pressure, even when the solenoid makes contact, becuase you are still pulling on the same spring

oh well!. then it must be time for a new toy :).
May the curse of the terrible toy hunger be also on Avie for having me lent the Morini. Oops .. I begged her for that .. and damn she already owns a Steyr .. well, the curse still stands. :)

Deepinder

smoother over travel idea !

Post by Deepinder »

Scott , how about putting a small spring in the over travel screw hole and adjusting the two of them so that the spring takes up instead of the screw acting as a complete stop. This would allow a smoother aftertravel.
Hmm.. time to rev up my CNC milling machine.
:
: : Scott are you saying that there should be no after travel?
: Yes, that is what the overtravel screw is for. there are those to believe that the trigger should have no movement afer release and therefore your trigger stop should be EXACTLY after release. This the most subscribed to theory and thus most guns have trigger stops.
: the other group's theory is that your trigger finger should continue to move after the release because if your trigger finger hits a stop, then that causes you to pull the gun forward (downward) and cuase (possibly) a lower score. The downside to this onward-afterward movement , (and it varies from gun to gun depending on the triggers gemoetry), is that as soon as the trigger releases, you have less weight than before, sometimes NONE and your trigger finger starts to accelerate since it now has less resistance and obvioulsy this can cause an erratic movement the other direction . The Morini electronic os the ONLY gun without this problem, because you are pulling against a spring only and it never changes pressure, even when the solenoid makes contact, becuase you are still pulling on the same spring
: Either theory requires good minute muscular trigger control that takes a lot of training to take advanatage of the benefits. This is where dryfiring is an excellant tool, practicing your sight alignment and teaching your trigger finger how to control the trigger. Personally I would use an overtravel and teach my finger to stop on command, but the either theory works well for those that diligently apply them. I suggest you read our Interview pages and you will see some of both practiced.
:
: The trigger original had no after travel and I put some in, so should I now take it back out? I have noticed some of those shots that I just can't explain as well ( I shoot nowhere near as well as Deepinder so I just figured they were me).
: : Thanks guys and Happy Holidays to both you and Deepinder. See you in January Deep.
: : : Sounds like to me that you need set the overtravel screw up to elminate any motion in the trigger after the sear release.

Richard H.

Re: two trigger theorys, and both benefit from dry firing

Post by Richard H. »

Thanks Scott, I removed the over travel. Like you said either works its all about trigger control. I usually found those errant shots latter in the match or training when I get tired and strat to get sloppy.
:
: : Scott are you saying that there should be no after travel?
: Yes, that is what the overtravel screw is for. there are those to believe that the trigger should have no movement afer release and therefore your trigger stop should be EXACTLY after release. This the most subscribed to theory and thus most guns have trigger stops.
: the other group's theory is that your trigger finger should continue to move after the release because if your trigger finger hits a stop, then that causes you to pull the gun forward (downward) and cuase (possibly) a lower score. The downside to this onward-afterward movement , (and it varies from gun to gun depending on the triggers gemoetry), is that as soon as the trigger releases, you have less weight than before, sometimes NONE and your trigger finger starts to accelerate since it now has less resistance and obvioulsy this can cause an erratic movement the other direction . The Morini electronic os the ONLY gun without this problem, because you are pulling against a spring only and it never changes pressure, even when the solenoid makes contact, becuase you are still pulling on the same spring
: Either theory requires good minute muscular trigger control that takes a lot of training to take advanatage of the benefits. This is where dryfiring is an excellant tool, practicing your sight alignment and teaching your trigger finger how to control the trigger. Personally I would use an overtravel and teach my finger to stop on command, but the either theory works well for those that diligently apply them. I suggest you read our Interview pages and you will see some of both practiced.
:
: The trigger original had no after travel and I put some in, so should I now take it back out? I have noticed some of those shots that I just can't explain as well ( I shoot nowhere near as well as Deepinder so I just figured they were me).
: : Thanks guys and Happy Holidays to both you and Deepinder. See you in January Deep.
: : : Sounds like to me that you need set the overtravel screw up to elminate any motion in the trigger after the sear release.

Alexey

Post by Alexey »

Triggers never cause jerked shots. It's human privilege. Actually, aftertravel causes no harm, so eliminating it doesn't make things easier. The only really bad kind of trigger is the one that starts behaving _before_ the release, and that's a downright malfunction. Try to employ a trigger without aftertravel, and after some initial (imaginary, as a matter of fact) relief you'll find that the jerked shots are still there. Actually, a bit of aftertravel is usually a comfort. Look at the air rifle people. They usually employ huge aftertravels without any problem.
Best regards, Alexey
alexey931-at-list.ru.47227.47211
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

: Triggers never cause jerked shots. It's human privilege. Actually, aftertravel causes no harm, so eliminating it doesn't make things easier.
As an afterthought: anybody can try, say, five dry shots using that mean, jerky trigger. How many of them were perfect anyway? three? four? The all-important message is simple enough to be commonly overlooked: if one perfect shot is manageable, then the road to making them all perfect is clear.
Best regards, Alexey
alexey931-at-list.ru.47228.47227
Patrick

Deep: You put a curse on my fiancee?!?!?!?!?

Post by Patrick »

Deep: are you trying to bankrupt me?
: May the curse of the terrible toy hunger be also on Avie for having me lent the Morini. Oops .. I begged her for that .. and damn she already owns a Steyr .. well, the curse still stands. :)
We just bought a Rika after playing with your's. Then out of the goodness of our hearts, we loaned you the Morini, which has fallen into disfavour after Avie bought the LP-10. And a curse is how you repay use? Shocking behaviour, indeed! *s*
On a more serious note, doesn't that Morini have a long overtravel? I was trying it out (Avie and I swapped guns) because my 162 is set for no overtravel: its almost a binary switch. Did she reduce the overtravel, or did you adjust it?
Just joining the thread during a bout of insomnia.
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.47230.47220
Avianna

Re: Deep: You put a curse on my fiancee?!?!?!?!?

Post by Avianna »

Hehe, I am really a sales woman from Morini, my job is to tease poor LP10 owners with my smooth Morini trigger... <evil laugh>hahahaha</evil laugh> ... D'oh! I own an LP10! Crap!
: Deep: are you trying to bankrupt me?
: : May the curse of the terrible toy hunger be also on Avie for having me lent the Morini. Oops .. I begged her for that .. and damn she already owns a Steyr .. well, the curse still stands. :)
: We just bought a Rika after playing with your's. Then out of the goodness of our hearts, we loaned you the Morini, which has fallen into disfavour after Avie bought the LP-10. And a curse is how you repay use? Shocking behaviour, indeed! *s*
: On a more serious note, doesn't that Morini have a long overtravel? I was trying it out (Avie and I swapped guns) because my 162 is set for no overtravel: its almost a binary switch. Did she reduce the overtravel, or did you adjust it?
: Just joining the thread during a bout of insomnia.
: Patrick

Deepinder

Post by Deepinder »

: Deep: are you trying to bankrupt me?
welcome to the (almost) married gang Patrick.
: On a more serious note, doesn't that Morini have a long overtravel? I was trying it out (Avie and I swapped guns) because my 162 is set for no overtravel: its almost a binary switch. Did she reduce the overtravel, or did you adjust it?
Yes the aftertravel is still there on the Morinibut I wouldnt call it after travel. I dont know when the trigger fires and really dont care. All there is, is a smooth pull. I get it into my hold and squeeze and hope like hell the gods of statistics favour me. With the Steyr I tend to try to hit tens instead of just shooting my group.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

: Yes the aftertravel is still there on the Morini ...
The Rika trace that you sent Avie: was it with the Morini or the Steyr? It would be interesting to compare/contrast traces with your best efforts on each gun and see if there is a technical difference between the two. If you're willing, can you send another one or two out?
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.47241.47238
LP10P owner

What do you like about & don't like about both AP? nt

Post by LP10P owner »

What do you like about & don't like about both AP? nt
: Hehe, I am really a sales woman from Morini, my job is to tease poor LP10 owners with my smooth Morini trigger... <evil laugh>hahahaha</evil laugh> ... D'oh! I own an LP10! Crap!
: : Deep: are you trying to bankrupt me?
: : : May the curse of the terrible toy hunger be also on Avie for having me lent the Morini. Oops .. I begged her for that .. and damn she already owns a Steyr .. well, the curse still stands. :)
: : We just bought a Rika after playing with your's. Then out of the goodness of our hearts, we loaned you the Morini, which has fallen into disfavour after Avie bought the LP-10. And a curse is how you repay use? Shocking behaviour, indeed! *s*
: : On a more serious note, doesn't that Morini have a long overtravel? I was trying it out (Avie and I swapped guns) because my 162 is set for no overtravel: its almost a binary switch. Did she reduce the overtravel, or did you adjust it?
: : Just joining the thread during a bout of insomnia.
: : Patrick

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Hi Deepinder,
I've been agonizing over my LP10 trigger ever since I bought the pistol. The geometry of the trigger parts is different from that of the LP-1, even though the piece parts are the same. The difference in geometry results from the larger breach bolt of the LP-10 requiring the hinge points and spring tensions to be different from those of the LP-1. I know you're asking why this would matter to you... It's because the LP-1 has very similar "pre-release" and "post release" draw weights. This degree of similarity, in my opinion, just is not achieveable in the LP-10. After the shot breaks the LP-10 trigger turns to mush. This was causing my groups to open up. The only fix I've been able to find is that identified by Mr. Pilkington - reducing overtravel to near zero. Still not as smooth a system as the Morini trigger, but a very useable trigger nonetheless.
I hope you find a solution that works for you. See you at the CAGP in February.

Cheers,
Mark.