Get a grip, man!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Re: Get a grip, man!

Post by seamaster »

Just like Arnold Schwarzenegger say to that technologically advanced alien in Predator, "man, you are one ugly mama! "

But if you are shooting 560-570, then you got your point across, who cares if it is one ugly mama.

But if you are 540's, people might say, "what do you expect?'.

But if you are in low 500's, people might ask you to beautify it a little bit.

It is what is in your wallet that counts, who cares what your wallet look like.

What IS in your wallet?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Didn't you keep a condom in your wallet while in high school? Just in case....
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

All you see is all you got.

Your mama taught you old fashionably well. A switch in time saves nine. Don’t be avant-garde.

But you haven’t face a girl who is atomic yet. It is not what is in your wallet, but what you do with what is in your wallet when she turns atomic.

Again, she smiles at you. What is in your wallet?

She already told you, she doesn’t care for an ugly wallet.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

atomicgale wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:59 pm
So where does THIS ATROCITY fit into the Pantheon of "Pretty Grips"

I wouldn't mind using it (in fact, I would buy it from you if this was a good fit for me), but I just can't bear myself to do the same to a new part.
It's a problem I have, and not only with pistols.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I am lucky that Rink fits me off the rack. It's like they used my hand. The Steyr version never felt like it was shaped for a human hand.
Attachments
New Rink
New Rink
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:16 pm The Steyr version never felt like it was shaped for a human hand.
Correct! Why do you think I use Devcon#10110 steel-epoxy as "grip putty"?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

atomicgale wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:51 pm
brent375hh wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:16 pm The Steyr version never felt like it was shaped for a human hand.
Correct! Why do you think I use Devcon#10110 steel-epoxy as "grip putty"?
How do you adjust your palm shelf for hand changes between summer and winter? Or do live in a nice climate, unlike me?
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 pm How do you adjust your palm shelf for hand changes between summer and winter? Or do live in a nice . . . .
Would a shooter rather spend time looking at the pretty grips, or looking at the front sight?

Stay tuned for more: "Ghetto Grips from Appalachia!"
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:16 pm I am lucky that Rink fits me off the rack. It's like they used my hand. The Steyr version never felt like it was shaped for a human hand.
I agree, not a big fan of the Steyr grip, will be ordering a Rink set real soon.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Rover wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am
william wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:48 pm Question for Rover:
Which do you think is the stronger driving force:
1. Aversion to (fear of?) files, Dremel tools, and epoxy wood-filler; or
B. Desire to maintain high resale value by keeping grips intact?
Obviously the first, since they will buy the expensive unfitted Rink grips in the often vain hope of a better fit.
pooklord

Post by pooklord »

I just finished my Toz-35m free pistol grips. I made them from the big blocks of walnut they came with. Woodworking was not a skill with which I had familiarity, so it took a ridiculously long amount of time to make them. Basically, I removed too much material in the wrong places and spent a lot of time gluing bits of walnut back into those places, nearly destroying my dremel bringing them into shape, cutting my hands with chisels and distributing old russian walnut sawdust throughout my home. They do not look very nice.

BUT, on the plus side, they fit my hands better than any other grips I have ever had, including the perfectly nice Rink grips for my IZH-35 and the grips for my IZH-46.

I do not regret the effort or the results. I will be testing them this weekend and then some final sanding/grinding based on those results.

If anyone needs a laugh, I can post pictures.
ok, here's some

image006.jpg
image005.jpg
image004.jpg
image003.jpg
image002.jpg
cheers,

Matthew
Last edited by pooklord on Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

pooklord wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:38 pm If anyone needs a laugh, I can post pictures.
Please, post pics! I'm currently installing "Bling" on my ghetto Steyr grips. I'll post pics once the glue dries.
pooklord

Post by pooklord »

Cool! I'm trying to think of what bling I can add to mine . . . maybe a built in level or somesuch . . .
william

Post by william »

pooklord wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:46 pm Cool! I'm trying to think of what bling I can add to mine . . . maybe a built in level or somesuch . . .
Forget about a level. Go for a compass. I used to dream of fitting my pistols with a gyroscope.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've dry fired a rifle with a gyroscopic stabilizer. The company I work for does guidance system & has lots of experience with gyros. They needed an experienced shooter to test a prototype for military applications. Shooting offhand, it cut my wobble in half. It fights a bit when you come on target, but once you settle, it was really slick.
Rover

Post by Rover »

william wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 pm
pooklord wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:46 pm Cool! I'm trying to think of what bling I can add to mine . . . maybe a built in level or somesuch . . .
Forget about a level. Go for a compass. I used to dream of fitting my pistols with a gyroscope.
Bling used to be referred to as "farkling". Resident Farkleer of Note is Clarence Perkins, who, I'm sure, would be glad to coach you on the finer points.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Speaking of grips, I've had a mystery grip kicking around in my gun stuff drawer for months. The mystery solved itself today. This one came in the box with an old Walther CP2 air pistol I picked up (fitted with its own Rink grip) in 2019, but obviously wasn't for that gun. I unscrewed its two halves today to see if there was anything inside to show what it's for. From the shape of the cutout inside, I suddenly realized that it's actually a target grip for a K frame Smith & Wesson. Just what I've been wanting for my K38 so that I can use it in ISSF Centre Fire. It's a Morini, in fact. Not adjustable, but fits my hand just right. No cutout for thumb cocking but for ISSF that's not a concern. To show how stupid I am, I actually ordered another one off eBay last week (not as nice). So now I will have two. A plethora of grips.
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

One can also do this:

Modify your existing grip with clay/dremmel or whatever you want. Shoot it and adjust if needed. Then when you don’t feel the need to improve further, you send the grip to Rink and have them scan it and make a copy of it. That way your grip will not only look “new and untouched” (if that’s important to you) but will be exactly as you made it.

Rink can also transfer the grip to other pistols if you want.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Rover wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:25 pm Bling used to be referred to as "farkling".
Here's some serious BLING! Tap-in two .380 95-grain FMJs. These have twin built-in gyroscopic stabilizers AND are a benchmark guide to keep width of palm shelf under 50mm (1.968") to fit pistol in "The Box."
Rover

Post by Rover »

That just REEKS of loving care, precision, and master craftsmanship!

Far nicer than most posters here.