Super Lube Mystery Failure

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
B Lafferty

Re: Super Lube Mystery Failure

Post by B Lafferty »

Has anyone used DANCO Waterproof Silicone Grease? It is said to be petroleum free. Certainly readily available and inexpensive.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

After reading a Lot of articles on silicone lubricant for metal on metal, it seems that it is never advisable to use silicone for that purpose.
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

I just received a new LP50 from Pilkguns last week, they included a tube of the Super Lube (Non Silicone version) and their gunsmith, Buck, confirmed yesterday that it's safe to use it on O rings too. I've used for years on the AP cylinder threads. I'm glad to know they recommend it for O rings too.
Craig B
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

CraigB5940 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 am I just received a new LP50 from Pilkguns last week, they included a tube of the Super Lube (Non Silicone version) and their gunsmith, Buck, confirmed yesterday that it's safe to use it on O rings too. I've used for years on the AP cylinder threads. I'm glad to know they recommend it for O rings too.
Thank you!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

CraigB5940 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 am I just received a new LP50 from Pilkguns last week, they included a tube of the Super Lube (Non Silicone version) and their gunsmith, Buck, confirmed yesterday that it's safe to use it on O rings too. I've used for years on the AP cylinder threads. I'm glad to know they recommend it for O rings too.
What is the exact part number for the lube they supplied? SuperLube has WAY too many options...

Upon further study, it appears the only grade of the synthetic grease they supply in the small tubes is NLGI 2 (thickness), which is #21010.
divingin

Post by divingin »

Nevergiveup wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 am The question is does the Feinwerkbrau grease (or any other proprietary grease) have a secret ingredient that makes it worth over 13 times the cost of nonproprietary grease. especially if you confine its use to cylinder treads?
If you ever bought a Crosman BB or pellet gun, they recommend using Crosman Pellgun Oil. It sells for $4 to $12 on Amazon (1/4 Oz tube.)

If you've ever looked up the MSDS, it is actually SAE 30wt motor oil (which is what, $5 to $7 a quart?) Same price for 128X more product.
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

I agree they have way too many variants with the same package wording "Multilube" and their distinctive brand color bar!

The tube I got from Pilkington has the label that matches the left tube in the photo at the top of this thread, NOT the RIGHT ONE! It's a smaller tube (1/2 ounce) than the one in the photo, it's part #21014 which is probably only good for identifying that size of tube if this product. I have a large grease gun cartridge of the same stuff I got 10 years ago from McMaster Carr with no part number on it.

The key is the description "Multi Purpose Grease with Syncolon. Up until now I used it only no o ring contact applications but it's nice to know Pilkington blesses it for O rings, I figured as much when they sent it with my LP 50.
Craig B
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

There is a lot of overthinking going on here. That said, there are many types of o ring. Steyr are green from memory(?). That may indicate they are hydrogenated nitrile, which is petroleum lubricant resistant. Where as Morini are black, which may indicate they are nitrile, viton or epdm and may swell and weaken when oiled.

So getting a tube of lube with your steyr does not necessarily mean it is good to use in your FWB.

So apply the KISS principle, get some silicon grease for o rings, and use 'proper' grease for any metal to metal. And apply it very sparingly. Wipe off any excess and enjoy your shooting.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

CraigB5940 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:35 pm I agree they have way too many variants with the same package wording "Multilube" and their distinctive brand color bar!

The tube I got from Pilkington has the label that matches the left tube in the photo at the top of this thread, NOT the RIGHT ONE! It's a smaller tube (1/2 ounce) than the one in the photo, it's part #21014 which is probably only good for identifying that size of tube if this product. I have a large grease gun cartridge of the same stuff I got 10 years ago from McMaster Carr with no part number on it.

The key is the description "Multi Purpose Grease with Syncolon. Up until now I used it only no o ring contact applications but it's nice to know Pilkington blesses it for O rings, I figured as much when they sent it with my LP 50.
Interesting... Super Lube #21010 is also listed as "Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease".

Aha! I checked Super Lube's web site, and the only difference is that the #21014 is sold in "bulk", i.e. loose tubes, and the #21010 is sold in a blister pack. It makes sense that Pilkington would buy it in bulk to pass out to folks, but if anyone wants to buy it for themselves, they need to look for #21010.

Amazon sells it for $4.56: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21010 ... B000BXKZQU