Walther LGR - OK for a Plinker?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark.

Walther LGR - OK for a Plinker?

Post by Mark. »

Hello to All,
I'm working on a deal to purchase a Walther LGR air rifle to use as a basement plinker. Something to keep my rifle-shooting skills reasonably current. Since I'm heavily involved in pistol shooting I don't see any future for me in shooting air rifle competitively, so I'm really only looking for a plinker. Besides, after seeing the truck-load of equipment that rifle shooters drag into a match, I think I like the idea of sticking to the minimalistic equipment allowed by the current pistol-shooting rules - it's so much easier to carry. But those fancy jackets do look kinda cool...
My question to this forum is, how does this rifle stack up in terms of suitability as a plinker? I'm most concerned with the inherint weaknesses of the rifle, and the things I shouldn't do or risk breaking the rifle. The last thing I want to do is end up with a rifle that doesn't work because I did something wrong. If there are maintenance tips you'd care to share, I'd be most greatful to receive them.
Thanks in advance for your helpful comments, and best wishes of the season to you.

Mark.
Joe Matusic, MD

Re: Walther LGR - OK for a Plinker?

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

I bought one at the Roanoke show this year, so I have only had it 2 months, shot about 50-100 times. About the only negative is the cocking method. The pressure stroke in in closing the handle and this is back towards the muzzle, where most side cockers pressure stroke is towards the rear (like the FWB 300).
For comparison, I also have a Diana 75 to1, FWB P70, have had 2 FWB 300s (one a mini) and now the Walther. All are equally accurate. This particular gun has a lighter trigger than usual, but that is adjustable. The fit and finish is examplary. Overall feel is very similar to the others especially the Diana. Its a great hyperacurate plinking gun. Alot easier to load the pellets than the rest due to the flip up breech and no movement during firing.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.47085.47062
Mark.

Re: Walther LGR - OK for a Plinker?

Post by Mark. »

Thanks for your comments, Dr. Joe. I'm glad to hear you think this rifle will fill the bill as a plinker. There are a couple of pesky squirrels in the back forty that might get tuned up with it too!
A couple of follow-up questions here for you (from a rank amature air rifle shooter...).
1) why is the cocking method a disadvantage? I've shot FWB603 and don't find it to be too bad. I assume the Walther is at a disadvantage because you can't put the butt on a chair and push downward to cock. Is this correct? If you cock on the "closing" or upstroke, what does your left hand hang onto while your grunting the cocking lever into position?
2) You mention there's no recoil on this gun... Do you know how this is achieved? Just curious as I haven't yet shot this rifle. In fact, I've purchased it sight-unseen and won't see it for another couple of weeks. Yes, I'm anxious to get it into my hot little hands!
3) Any suggestions as to buttstock modifications to accomodate different lengths of pull? This rifle has had 4" of stock sawed off to accomodate junior shooters. The vendor still has the hunk of stock he removed. I'm thinking of trying to keep it as a junior gun for my kids, but also would like to be able to quickly and easily add the extra 4" so I can shoot it. The gun has the stock buttplate.
Thanks again for all your helpful feedback.

Mark.