Caution when purchasing new IZH 46

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Re: Caution when purchasing new IZH 46

Post by brent375hh »

I'm with him. The Izzy does not have a trigger in the same league as the others. It's a good gun, it's not world class precision.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pm In my country (the USA) we shoot FIREARMS. Pellet arms are for kids.
The "sprayers" shoot real firearms, yes - but they (the sprayers, not the guns) more often than not suffer from mediocre hitability.
Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pmEnter the IZZY... I bought mine used a number of years ago for $350. I'm hooked on the ISSF style AP shooting.
You bought the IZZY second hand for $350, back then, say that is $400 worth, or more, today. You may buy a few years old Steyr LP 10 or a Walther 400 for $900 to $1000 probably (thats the second hand costs by us, at least). Not that far from the cost of your used IZZY?
Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pmWithout a cheap entry point I would have never given it a try.
But then, the poor trigger and awesome weight may repel more beginners than it may attract to the AP sport? Right?
Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pmNow I'm at a point where I'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking forward to the extra 10 points I'm going to buy by moving up from the Izzy to a Steyr, Morini, Pardini, Walther, or FWB.
Finally you admitted that. Every potential AP owner should avoid the "used IZZY" step, and go directly for the gun you now want to buy. Money and greef saved.

I believe you appreciate your leisure time? You only live once. Think about it this way: You are obliged to buy yourself the best shooting equipment available. Buy less cigarettes, buy less gasoline (walk or go by bicycle more). Accumulate savings to get yourself an upper shelf gun, albait an used one.

("Green Canoe".. in swedish language conoe writes "kanot", sounds like "can not". Jokes aside, but are you able to hit the ten ring regularly with your IZZY, or maybe you "can not"?)

Exercise sight picture, steady hold and trigger pull daily. Or better: twice a day. That makes you a better shot.

BTW: The IZZy does not have a dry fire option? The Steyrs, Walthers, Morinis all have...
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

northpaw wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:55 am
kevinweiho wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:08 pm You must be really spoiled with the top tier pistols with all the bells and whistles to call the 46M a "fair plinker". My particular Izzy, can stand on its own accuracy-wise against my Steyr LP10 and FWB’s shooting from a bench rest.
From a BENCH REST you wrote, .. but in a competition you are not supposed to shoot from at bench rest? The bad ergometricks are detrimental to scores.

Spoiled? Yes, I am, at least for your eyes. Former member of our countrys national team for air pistol, and a few nationals won... Yes. I want to use the best equipment available.And I want the same for beginners. A saying in my country: Buying cheap may be expencive in the long run.
For beginners, - respectable gun clubs in my country do not buy IZZYs, or Webleys, they buy Steyrs, Walthers; formerly also Haemmerlies and FWBs (not any more). The quality, and shootability, of the top notch guns is far beyond the IZZIs and Webleys.
Well, your eyes don’t see the rest of the world, not everyone can buy a top of the line match air pistol, the majority of us have been living paycheck to paycheck...

The pistol is considered a stepping stone by a newbie to learn the basics, by no means should it be used in international shooting levels, I’ll tip my hat to the person who uses it to beat anyone with a pcp...The new AV-46M has addressed the bad ergonomics with new contoured laminated wood grips, hey Pyramyd Air, if you’re reading this thread, get the manufacturer to make the compression tube out of titanium!
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

northpaw wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:01 amBTW: The IZZy does not have a dry fire option? The Steyrs, Walthers, Morinis all have...
The "plinker" does have a dry-fire feature...
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Today's top air pistol may well be tomorrow's plinker...:-)
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
william

Post by william »

If you had hinted at the beginning that this thread would spill over onto a second page, I would have fallen over laughing.

The snobbery on display is breathtaking. I wonder: The guys who reject the Izh as too crude, too heavy, too ugly, too whatever, are they too good for anything except silk underwear? Just askin'

FWIW I shot my second-best-ever score with my Izh, and my personal best was only 1 point better.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Will somebody please re-title this thread......

There is nothing wrong with the gun and the title reflects badly on the gun instead of the understanding of the aithor.....
Last edited by spektr on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"silk underwear?"

Gotta have lace on it!

Buyin' extra points.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

46m and LP10 are my “mixed team”.

I shoot 5 shots IZH, 5 shots LP10, 5 shots IZH, 5 shots LP10,

Once warmed, there is NO difference.

It is all in your head. It is all mental, as I learned lately.

You can make them both do what YOU want them to do.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

I assume you have the best of intentions in providing a newcomer to the sport the best start they can possibly have and so I'm going to respond to your statements below just so you can see where a shooter such as myself is coming from.

northpaw wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:01 am
Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pm In my country (the USA) we shoot FIREARMS. Pellet arms are for kids.
The "sprayers" shoot real firearms, yes - but they (the sprayers, not the guns) more often than not suffer from mediocre hitability.
Yes, sprayers exist but as with everything there are all levels in a given sport. I was a dedicated action game pistol shooter at one time and I still work to keep those skills current. That's probably why ISSF Rapid Fire hasn't grabbed me. Too regimented and not applicable to "real life".
Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pmEnter the IZZY... I bought mine used a number of years ago for $350. I'm hooked on the ISSF style AP shooting.
You bought the IZZY second hand for $350, back then, say that is $400 worth, or more, today. You may buy a few years old Steyr LP 10 or a Walther 400 for $900 to $1000 probably (thats the second hand costs by us, at least). Not that far from the cost of your used IZZY?
I'm not sure I'm going to hire you as my financial advisor. That's about 250% more than the Izzy. I didn't know at that time shooting 10m AP would be enjoyable. I wasn't going to take a $1k chance that I might buy something I might not use. Give me $1000 in 2013 and I'm buying a used H&K P7. (In fact I did)

Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pmWithout a cheap entry point I would have never given it a try.
But then, the poor trigger and awesome weight may repel more beginners than it may attract to the AP sport? Right?
My Izzy 46 (No M) is 1090g (actual). My buddies 46M weighed 1170g. (actual) Both the Morini 162 and Steyr Evo 10 list their weights as 970g. 120 grams & 200grams difference respectively... The difference isn't as great as you make it sound. I was coming from the weight of a loaded Colt 1911 being 1360g so the Izzy didn't seem heavy and still doesn't. (I will fully agree the weight bias of the Izzy is very much to the nose.)

Green_Canoe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:02 pmNow I'm at a point where I'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking forward to the extra 10 points I'm going to buy by moving up from the Izzy to a Steyr, Morini, Pardini, Walther, or FWB.
Finally you admitted that. Every potential AP owner should avoid the "used IZZY" step, and go directly for the gun you now want to buy. Money and greef saved.

I believe you appreciate your leisure time? You only live once. Think about it this way: You are obliged to buy yourself the best shooting equipment available. Buy less cigarettes, buy less gasoline (walk or go by bicycle more). Accumulate savings to get yourself an upper shelf gun, albait an used one.

("Green Canoe".. in swedish language conoe writes "kanot", sounds like "can not". Jokes aside, but are you able to hit the ten ring regularly with your IZZY, or maybe you "can not"?)

Exercise sight picture, steady hold and trigger pull daily. Or better: twice a day. That makes you a better shot.

BTW: The IZZy does not have a dry fire option? The Steyrs, Walthers, Morinis all have...

The main issue I'm trying to address here is I didn't know I wanted to be an AP shooter and I still would have not known if I had to come up with $1k to find out. If I didn't know that I currently enjoyed AP I'd be spending my next $1800 on a Steyr AUG rather than an Evo 10.

You are correct about only living once and treating yourself as you can. And that is why I am planning on stepping up from the Izzy. I feel I deserve a "Rolex" versus a "Vostok Amphibian" But... I have many other hobbies and kids in university asking for my money so I spend carefully. And being an engineer I tend to over analyze these types of purchases. I'll probably buy something by the end of summer. The biggest issue I see is there is not a good traffic of used guns here in the USA. It's just not that popular here.

(Canoe vs. Kanot - wilderness canoe camping another hobby of mine asking for time and money) The Izzy is letting me score in the 545 range, though I did have a 552 earlier this month. I know about shooting every day... I was fortunate enough to work for 15 years only 2.5Km from my range and have an hour for lunch. I shot every day the temperature was over 10C. Average shooters (Not 10m AP shooters) wonder why I shoot so well. It's as simple as shooting 5 days a week 7 months of the year.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

seamaster wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:49 pm 46m and LP10 are my “mixed team”.

It is all in your head. It is all mental, as I learned lately.

You can make them both do what YOU want them to do.
I have the same but see a difference. It is certainly easy for me to say that I think the 46 can score 98-99% as well as the Steyr for 33% of the cost.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

@ "Green_Canow": Thanks for your considerations about the IZZY, and shooting sport in genereal. 5 times a week, but 7 months a years only. Get yourself an informal AP range in your basement. Less than 10 m will do, too. To fill in those missing 5 months..
seamaster wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:49 pm 46m and LP10 are my “mixed team”.

That´s good news. The US national AP teams could save a substantial amount of money going for IZZYs, then.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Perhaps ISSF should create an Izzy specific World Cup event with an eye toward having it become an Olympic event?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Maybe you Izzy owners should come to Idaho.

We have lots of 'taters to dig here.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:38 am Maybe you Izzy owners should come to Idaho.

We have lots of 'taters to dig here.
Could be an interesting business opportunity making and marketing spade attachments to fit to the end of the cocking lever.