Free Pistol vs. Air Pistol: Relative Skill Question

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

R.Q. Lewis

Free Pistol vs. Air Pistol: Relative Skill Question

Post by R.Q. Lewis »

Is free pistol more "difficult" than air pistol, or is it about the same? I notice that the anatomy of the free pistol and the match air pistol is very similar. It would be nice to shoot in the basement with an air pistol and count that as meaningful practice toward mastery of the free pistol.
Bill Abernethy

Re: Free Pistol vs. Air Pistol: Relative Skill Question

Post by Bill Abernethy »

FP and AP are similar in many ways, but FP is more difficult in my opinion because of the much smaller target.
Bill Abernethy
bill-at-wccnet.org.47013.47011
LArry

Post by LArry »

Very similar games, but Free is harder, as you can see by the scores of world class shooters. As Bill said, the target effectively has smaller scoring rings. Free pistol is also shot with a cartridge arm that has recoil. It generally is shot with a harder to control set trigger. Rim fire ammunition is not as accurate as air pistol pellets. Any match grade pellet should shot single holes from a rest. Some barrels have been found to shoot several inch groups with ammunition that is very accurate in other barrels.

Air is good practice for free pistol and free pistol will aid your air scores. Attention to sight alignment, trigger control,and unwavering concentration are rewarded.
: Is free pistol more "difficult" than air pistol, or is it about the same? I notice that the anatomy of the free pistol and the match air pistol is very similar. It would be nice to shoot in the basement with an air pistol and count that as meaningful practice toward mastery of the free pistol.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Free pistol is definitely the more difficult event from a score point of view. However, a free pistol with a trigger adjusted to your taste, a grip fit specifically to your hand (two thumbs up to Quikwood wood tone epoxy putty), and a greater amount of weight/balance adjustability allows for an unmatched ability to refine and execute the fundamentals. Air pistols, while technically capable of similar mechanical performance, are prevented from such by the rules (no set triggers, no wraparound grips,...). Hence, the term free pistol. Having said that, air pistol is excellent practice for free pistol, especially for calling shots and follow through. Just my opinion,
Jim
PS: If you think air pistols are capable of better groups, try free pistol on the indoor 50 ft. course :-)

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.47043.47011
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

: Is free pistol more "difficult" than air pistol, or is it about the same?
Yes, 50m free pistol is the most difficult pistol ever invented, even if you factor out the small target. I mean, if you develop faultless technique for this, you will have absolutely no problem with any other pistol. It's a generally recognized principle. But actually, favours flow both ways. I've seen a guy who shot rapid fire only, though perfectly. Once he tried a 50m free pistol, just for fun, and scored 290 out of 300. So don't worry: as soon as you manage 580 with the air pistol, you'll get 560 with the free pistol as a bonus :)
Best regards, Alexey

alexey931-at-list.ru.47046.47011
PW

Free at 40m = Air at 10m

Post by PW »

I believe if you put the 50m free target at 40m, that is equivalent to the air target at 10m. So you have an extra 10m of distance to wobble over :)

: FP and AP are similar in many ways, but FP is more difficult in my opinion because of the much smaller target.
: Bill Abernethy

Mako

or shoot AP with target at 50 feet ....

Post by Mako »

: FP and AP are similar in many ways, but FP is more difficult in my opinion because of the much smaller target.
: Bill Abernethy

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.47179.47013