Air Pistol brand with the most support in the US?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DWood

Air Pistol brand with the most support in the US?

Post by DWood »

Looking at upgrading in the future, what air pistol brands have the most support and best customer service here in the USA? You know, just in case of problems or needing spare parts. As a follow up question, what air pistol would you consider to be around for the long haul? I’d like to get something that will serve me well for the next 10 years without it becoming “outdated” by new pistols with new features. Steyr and Morini seem like top choices, but I’m still learning.
brent375hh

Re: Air Pistol brand with the most support in the US?

Post by brent375hh »

The Steyr design has had a long run, and its still a top contender. Support will be the best for it. Some of the models that change every couple of years are prone to having parts not available.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Certainly not Benelli, if you can even find one in the US to buy. If money is not an issue, Steyr or Morini are good choices. I'm considering the LP2 which has been around for some time. I have to wonder how much longer it will be on the market.

The Hammerli AP20 has been around in the US market a fair number of years and appears to be going strong. It's affordable and by most accounts dependable. Service and parts in the US for Hammerli and Walther are questionable. There are suppliers in Europe who have parts for both brands and will ship to the US.

Being in the market myself for a new air pistol, if money is not an issue, I would go with the Steyr EVO or the LP2. If money is an issue, as it is with me being semi-retired, I would consider an AP20 and buy a slimline cylinder to go with it. Both can be had for <$950. A later grip upgrade with Rink or Walther still keeps you under the price of the LP2. All of that said, a $1,400 Covid stimulus check makes an EVO 10 or Morini doable. If I can manage to fix my Benelli Kite, I'll give you a great deal on it. :-)
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
william

Post by william »

DWood wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm Looking at upgrading in the future, what air pistol brands have the most support and best customer service here in the USA? You know, just in case of problems or needing spare parts. As a follow up question, what air pistol would you consider to be around for the long haul? I’d like to get something that will serve me well for the next 10 years without it becoming “outdated” by new pistols with new features. Steyr and Morini seem like top choices, but I’m still learning.
In reverse order:
Any good quality PCP will serve you for 10 years or more. No new features will make IT outdated. ...unless YOU are easily distracted by shiny new objects.

As for support, I'm awarding 5 out of 5 stars to Pardini. Some may do it as well - I have no direct experience to share. None do it better.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I really think any of the major manufacturers offerings will keep you happy. Of the minor makers, definately avoid Matchguns. They have a way of leaking and going to the shop much more often than anything else I see..... If you stick with Steyr FWB, Walther Morini or Pardini, you will do fine...

There is the question of little bits and pieces that are options..... Different width front sights and different balance weights might be something you should buy when you get the gun. FWB is good about having these available for older pisrols, but if you even think you want the stuff, sooner is better.

As far as reliability, i have had my P44 for 7 years, and nothing has happened to it that a little thought and a tiny dab of silicone based oil didn't fix. I am thinking of sending it in for a shop visit because im just one of those kind of guys, but its still perfect......

Im sure you will be happy wirh anything you choose, and as far as a specific brand recommendarion, I dont have one because this is such a personal feel based decision, if it feels right to you, buy it
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

^^^ My P44 also has a 7 year 100% reliability record. And I was able to re-seal it myself. Still works like the day I got it.

I just bought a Walther LP 500 Expert Electronic, and I'm pretty happy with the presence they have in the US for their air guns. They have a huge catalog of replacement and accessory parts, as well as several US rep centers. I'll be ordering a couple of parts coming up, so I'll be sure to report on my experience with them...
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, there's always the FWB 65. If you're a Bullseye shooter, you may not be man enough for this gun, though.
6string

Post by 6string »

Support really depends on the dealer/service presence in your country or area.
When Don Nygord, for example, was still with us, he backed everything he sold. Pardini immediately cones to mind. After we lost Don (a sad loss of a great guy as well as gunsmith), things were looking iffy until PardiniUSA came along.

Since Rover mentioned the FWB 65, it's my understanding that it is based largely on the 300s rifle. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.). If so, that is a design proven for longevity. FWB is great about long term parts supply for older, discontinued models.
Likewise, it is Pardini policy to maintain parts availability for all models they have produced.
And, our host Scott is renowned for standing behind his products.
Rover

Post by Rover »

William doesn't always give me dirt to trash him with, as per below:

"Any good quality PCP will serve you for 10 years or more. No new features will make IT outdated. ...unless YOU are easily distracted by shiny new objects."

My sediments perzackly.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I acquired two older Steyrs - an LP5 owned by Don Nygord and an LP10 that originally was a CO2 pistol. Our host updated both and converted the later. His service as quick, efficient, and reasonable. His assistant was polite, patient, and responsive. Without gainsaying good service from others, Pilkington has won me over with their old world craftsmanship and service.

Mike