SP reliability for RF

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

WilliamF

SP reliability for RF

Post by WilliamF »

Hi there, I know that SP's are designed to work reliably with the 10 sec RF stage, but I'm wondering if anyone has done testing with the various models to see how well they do with the 4 (or even 6) second phase of RF? Do any of the current SP's stand out for it's ability to recover between shots? Surely someone has been working on this, I would love to hear what y'all are finding. Thanks in advance.
Mark

Re: SP reliability for RF

Post by Mark »

Mine works fine for Rapid Fire. Why would it suddenly choke because I'm shooting a little faster?
: Hi there, I know that SP's are designed to work reliably with the 10 sec RF stage, but I'm wondering if anyone has done testing with the various models to see how well they do with the 4 (or even 6) second phase of RF? Do any of the current SP's stand out for it's ability to recover between shots? Surely someone has been working on this, I would love to hear what y'all are finding. Thanks in advance.

WilliamF

Post by WilliamF »

Your what works fine? That's what I'm after, which SP works well when firing strings in 4 secs on 5 targets as opposed to 10 seconds at one target. Which gun do you shoot that it makes no difference?
: Mine works fine for Rapid Fire. Why would it suddenly choke because I'm shooting a little faster?
: : Hi there, I know that SP's are designed to work reliably with the 10 sec RF stage, but I'm wondering if anyone has done testing with the various models to see how well they do with the 4 (or even 6) second phase of RF? Do any of the current SP's stand out for it's ability to recover between shots? Surely someone has been working on this, I would love to hear what y'all are finding. Thanks in advance.

WilliamF

Semantics perhaps

Post by WilliamF »

I'm not after which pistol will simply shoot 5 shots in 4 seconds, most will do that I assume. But rather, which SP is best suited to a true RF environment...and what is it about it's design that makes it so?
: Mine works fine for Rapid Fire. Why would it suddenly choke because I'm shooting a little faster?
: : Hi there, I know that SP's are designed to work reliably with the 10 sec RF stage, but I'm wondering if anyone has done testing with the various models to see how well they do with the 4 (or even 6) second phase of RF? Do any of the current SP's stand out for it's ability to recover between shots? Surely someone has been working on this, I would love to hear what y'all are finding. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Oh...I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring specifically to the Pardini SP. My Pardini SP has been great for Rapid Fire. It balances well for me. The only downside has been the two-stage trigger, but I'm going to adjust it so that it will function as a one-stage trigger. As soon as I finish doing that, it should be great. So far, it has been very reliable. It will digest any ammo I give it, from light target loads to high velocity cheap stuff. No problems with jams or hammer following, like I had with my old OSP.
: Hi there, I know that SP's are designed to work reliably with the 10 sec RF stage, but I'm wondering if anyone has done testing with the various models to see how well they do with the 4 (or even 6) second phase of RF? Do any of the current SP's stand out for it's ability to recover between shots? Surely someone has been working on this, I would love to hear what y'all are finding. Thanks in advance.

David M

Std's tested so far

Post by David M »

So far I have tried four Standard pistols, Morini, Aw93, Walther GSP Expert and Unique 96U.
Both the Morini and AW93 did not fair well in 4 second runs and have been dropped.
The best so far has been the Unique, set up with a single stage long travel trigger.
The GSP needs a barrel weight to help in 4 seconds but the C of G is a little too far forward.Ideal would be to use a shorter barrel on the GSP (Shortened to just in front of the foresight apporx.30mm)and then weighting the pistol up to max weight with a deep low slung weight.
We are still waiting a response from the ISSF over the velocity problems in the rules (short barrel pistols with standard velocity ammo do not produce the required speeds).

WilliamF

Thanks David

Post by WilliamF »

It'll be interesting to find out what the ISSF does about the velocity issue, seems like they'll have to loosen up or lots of SP's will be in trouble for RF. Is it safe to guess that lots of the forward magazine SPs may suffer in 4 sec? Any others that you think might work that you'll be trying?
: So far I have tried four Standard pistols, Morini, Aw93, Walther GSP Expert and Unique 96U.
: Both the Morini and AW93 did not fair well in 4 second runs and have been dropped.
: The best so far has been the Unique, set up with a single stage long travel trigger.
: The GSP needs a barrel weight to help in 4 seconds but the C of G is a little too far forward.Ideal would be to use a shorter barrel on the GSP (Shortened to just in front of the foresight apporx.30mm)and then weighting the pistol up to max weight with a deep low slung weight.
: We are still waiting a response from the ISSF over the velocity problems in the rules (short barrel pistols with standard velocity ammo do not produce the required speeds).

WilliamF

Balance is okay in 4 sec?

Post by WilliamF »

Thanks Mark, I like the Pardini but didn't know if the balance would work well in 4 sec RF runs. Good to hear you think it will.
: Oh...I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring specifically to the Pardini SP. My Pardini SP has been great for Rapid Fire. It balances well for me. The only downside has been the two-stage trigger, but I'm going to adjust it so that it will function as a one-stage trigger. As soon as I finish doing that, it should be great. So far, it has been very reliable. It will digest any ammo I give it, from light target loads to high velocity cheap stuff. No problems with jams or hammer following, like I had with my old OSP.

ferret

Post by ferret »

> The only downside has been the two-stage trigger, but I'm going to adjust it so that it will function as a one-stage trigger.
What is the reason for that? It's not directly comparable, but here in Sweden it seems like most of us only change the sight settings (I think, I know those who aim in the centre always or below always) when switching to field target (which is at least comparable to RF) and leave the trigger alone. I could understand it if you always prefer a one-stage trigger.

Mark

one stage vs. two stage trigger

Post by Mark »

I have a hard time taking up the first stage, then pulling the second stage smoothly when under tight time constraints. I find that when I attempt to take up the first stage and hold short of breaking the second stage while swinging the gun between shots, I have tendency to jerk the gun out of alignment when I get to the second target. I end up with a pretty good first target, and poor hits on the remaining four. If I wait till the gun is already on target before I start my trigger pull, I find that I often run out of time on the 4 sec. strings.
I don't know if everyone else has this problem too (probably not), but I'd just think it would be easier to go to a one stage trigger to minimize the requirement of fine motor skills while swinging the gun from target to target.
: What is the reason for that? It's not directly comparable, but here in Sweden it seems like most of us only change the sight settings (I think, I know those who aim in the centre always or below always) when switching to field target (which is at least comparable to RF) and leave the trigger alone. I could understand it if you always prefer a one-stage trigger.