Lubes for ssp pistols?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
von

Lubes for ssp pistols?

Post by von »

Iamasking about what lube for seals and piston on beeman p3?
seamaster

Re: Lubes for ssp pistols?

Post by seamaster »

Rover

Post by Rover »

Not sure what to say here, but after having my Walther LPM1 SSP resealed at Pilk, I asked what I needed to do as far as lube goes.
Answer: nothing.

With my Pardini K58, I would use a drop or two of Beeman Chamber oil (I still have some of the small bottle left). Air tool oil, I later discovered, is good too, and very cheap.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I am liking a little dab of SuperLube on every seal or friction surface these days.
tkinva

Post by tkinva »

I replaced the piston in an old LPM-1 that I recently acquired. It was so worn that the gun would just barely pump.

This is the old piston and the new one. Note how worn the old one is.

The piston in an SSP like the LPM-1 needs lubrication, especially one that has some detergent properties like the 3-in-1 pneumatic tool oil pointed to by seamaster. Dirt, grit, etc will build up and you will get abrasion that wears away the skirt at the front of the piston. Lubrication will keep your FPS more consistent, give the piston a better seal, and will help prevent wear.

I know the conventional wisdom is not to lubricate the chamber of an SSP. I'm no expert, but, based on my own experiences in replacing this piston, it's what I believe.
"It's better to have a catatonk atlatl than a catatonic axolotl."
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I’ve been using mineral oil from the pharmacy for my Beeman P17, (it’s the Chinese copy of the P3) Crosman 1377, and a Daisy 901 for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.

I also use FWB special grease, Molykote, and RWS silicone chamber oil for my other more expensive air pistols.
clarky

Post by clarky »

Trust the advice here. Use regular grade Hydraulic oil or a very thin mineral oil ...forget the rest.
It needs to be thin otherwise when it finds its way to the valve it will gum it up.....oil always finds a way!
Hydraulic/air tool oil is very thin and contains no nasties to attack O rings...obviously.
Forget Silicone. Perfect for lubing O ring seals, even better than the oil i describe above...but Silicone silica breaks down and galls metals over time. Its fine for inside the valve mechanism however.
Aerofish

Post by Aerofish »

Is Mac-1 Secret Sauce ok? I have a weihrauch Hw75 inbound and am wondering TIA
~ Mike