LP2 trigger anomaly

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sideoiler

LP2 trigger anomaly

Post by sideoiler »

I have an LP2 that is 10 years old and used fairly frequently, I have noticed an unusual anomaly with the trigger function . If I hold the pistol in a
shooting grip while sitting comfortably to view the trigger and trigger finger , while it is in dry fire mode . When the trigger is pulled/pressed the
trigger will suddenly snap forward when the sear has released the shot. It is quite a noticeable movement , but enough to interrupt the smooth trigger release and follow through which at that point is not possible . So, while dry firing and live firing ,the trigger will at time of break , will jump forward and then immediately backward then continuing on to the rearward follow through process . The trigger weight is set at 500 grams , the trigger stop is set with a generous clearance setting.

Is this normal with all the LP2 and or all Steyrs ? Or is it a faulty trigger .......
brent375hh

Re: LP2 trigger anomaly

Post by brent375hh »

I haven't had this problem on my Steyr, but vaguely remember it with my Hämmerli. As I recall, I added just a slight bit more of sear engagement to fix it. That's the screw that is painted red, aka the "don't adjust" screw.
Did it start all of a sudden, or over time?
sideoiler

Post by sideoiler »

sold a FWB 65 springer for new LP2 10 yrs ago , for me it was a big improvement from the springer. But there was always the called center shot that
was way off center , recently wifey said I should be dry firing to fix the long shots . So, i did that and found out a few errors of my ways to get a better shot . One was to sit in a chair and just look at the sights and dry fire and just looking at the trigger pull etc . Then one day I was working hard at my follow through and voila , my follow through was interrupted by this trigger going in the wrong direction on a very controlled trigger action.
my technique is a slower smooth pull concentrating on follow through , No possibility of a follow through with this trigger setup. This anomaly is really bothering me and I believe it is a cause of some poor shots . I will try the sear setting , giving it more engagement sounds like a good idea , adding a little creep doesn't bother me .
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

If I recall correctly, and it's been a while, once I gave the sear a little more engagement, I had to back off the trigger weight screws. It's as if I had the weight screws set up to compensate for the fact the sear was on the edge, and once it broke, the trigger kicked back. It didn't take much more engagement to fix the problem, I mean just a smidge counter clockwise from where it is now. Your overtravel will probably need an adjustment afterwards.

Sideoiler as in Ford?
sideoiler

Post by sideoiler »

I'll do a little tinkering on it tonite .

yep , 427 big block
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

If you get too far into the weeds for some reason, the below setup by David M is spot on IMO.

https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60674
Last edited by brent375hh on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sideoiler

Post by sideoiler »

Thanks you for the adjustments link and thanks for the tips . I did the quick and dirty adjustment by the seat of my butt . Backing off the said screw
fixed the rebound in the trigger , and no more hesitation in the smoothy of the trigger travel . Getting the follow through is cake now . I had to reset the trigger weight, it went quite high but was able to get it back to 500 gm .

Thank you so much for your help and the link .
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

You are most welcome. Go shoot tens.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

The trigger is probably not damaged. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and completely reset. The complete setup has been addressed here before by the David M's detailed instructions. See link above