Looking to get back into competitive pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trboat

Re: Looking to get back into competitive pistol

Post by trboat »

izzyjim wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:29 am Twelfth Precinct Pistol & Archery club in Harwood Md. might be just what you are looking for. They have twice weekly outdoor Bullseye league, and a indoor air pistol range.
Between Twelfth Precinct, and reading here, I think you are set.....Jim
Seconded
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Curtosis
I know several shooters who permanently replaced the AP20 with LP2 or LP10 and stayed with it. Nobody did it the other way around.
As for compact versions. I added a short barrel and a bomb to the CM162EI and the results did not improve. I did the same with LP2, replacing the barrel and bombs with short parts. The results in the competitions did not improve and both short versions required a stronger grip. It tired my hand much faster. For many years I shot with an LP10 without the barrel casing and with the LP2 compensator. Now I'm slowly returning to LP2.
The right solution for me seems to be. Lighter pistol with a center of gravity relatively in front. But those are just my preferences.
curtosis

Post by curtosis »

Thanks for the extra info, pbrejsa.

No, I don't imagine many would ever step down to the AP20 from the LP10 class of competition gun. I just am thinking the lower price makes the AP20 easier to ease back in with, as long as it's accurate enough to not hold me back for too long.

Definitely strongly considering the LP2, thanks to all the recommendations. :) It looks to be a good 50g lighter than the P8X or EVO 10, too. The K12 appears to be almost a full kg.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Curtosis
If you want to use a reliable top air pistol daily and for many years, the Steyr LP2 will be the best choice. It has a very good and easily accessible service in Europe. The availability of spare parts is very good. At present, this cannot be said of any of the competing products.

On the other hand, the Steyr pistols may not be suitable for shooters with too short fingers, then the Pardini K10 or the Morini CM162MI Short might be a better choice.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

I’d be interested in the lp2. I shoot the used lp1. And the 162ei. Eventually shorter cylinders will be in my future. If I were you and had it to do all over again, I’d go with the lp2 and not look back
curtosis

Post by curtosis »

I guess since it's my thread I can resurrect it to give a followup ....

It's been a while, what with COVID and other issues, but I finally managed to get myself to a casual match. I had been planning on just visiting and seeing how things looked, but folks were super friendly and offered to let me play along with a borrowed P44. My resulting 408 was obviously not an award-winning performance by any means, but given all the other factors (I hadn't shot in at least 25 years — electronic scoring? what's that?, completely out of practice, totally un-dialed-in gun, and in flipflops) I'm perfectly happy with how I did. My group size on the last target was 1/3 what it was on the first, and on track to be in the 500s. I guess I haven't completely forgotten everything!

So now I'm *actually* starting the shopping process. :)

My gut sense (ok, partly some gear lust too) is that I'll grow out of the AP20 more quickly than I'd like for the price. Still eyeing the LP2, of course, though that FWB trigger WAS super nice, so maybe a P8X... and probably leaning towards the short version whichever I go for. It looks like the longest sight radius on the LP2 Compact (298mm) is just 8mm longer than the *shortest* radius on the P8X kurz (290mm), which is another wrinkle.
ModestoPete

Post by ModestoPete »

Good Luck to you Curtosis.

I too used to shoot Air Pistol and Free Pistol back in the 1980's and 90's. I am in Northern California and trying to locate any local matches. There used to be many in the SF bay area but no more that I can find. I shoot a Pardini PGP 75 for Free Pistol and Feinwerbau Mdl 2 (C02) for Air Pistol. Although they are ancient, both shoot better than I can. I have just started doing a lot of dry firing and will start shooting half courses soon. I will post my practice scores soon.