beginner 10m, fwb603 vs avanti/aa s200b

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

uaetcoj

beginner 10m, fwb603 vs avanti/aa s200b

Post by uaetcoj »

i've been saving my pennies to get a 10m rifle. i have shot a 603 and i liked it. unfortunately, even used, they are expensive, .
i was looking at the avanti/aa s200b. my understanding is they have a pseudo two-stage trigger. what is this? has anyone shot this rifle? would it fit an adult and what is your overall impression of this rifle?
yeah, if i had money i'd get the 603, but i've had a hard time finding a gun for $500 ;>

uaetcoj-at-yahoo.com.46707.0
Michael Ray

Re: beginner 10m, fwb603 vs avanti/aa s200b

Post by Michael Ray »

: i was looking at the avanti/aa s200b.
I saw my first Avanti today at the JORC we host. It would not be suitable for an adult unless they make another version than the one I saw. It was being used by a little 10 year old girl and fit her just fine.
Your best bet is a used Gamo 126, RWS 75 or 100, FWB 300, etc.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

: i've been saving my pennies to get a 10m rifle. i have shot a 603 and i liked it. unfortunately, even used, they are expensive, .
: i was looking at the avanti/aa s200b. my understanding is they have a pseudo two-stage trigger. what is this? has anyone shot this rifle? would it fit an adult and what is your overall impression of this rifle?
: yeah, if i had money i'd get the 603, but i've had a hard time finding a gun for $500 ;>
A ton of guys have bought the S200 for super accurate plinking and entry field target competition. The Daisy Avanti is the same gun with an adjustable cheek piece, plus it's shooting at 6 ft/lbs instead of the 12 ft/lbs or so of the S200. It's an adult sized gun and I've never read anyone's post who wasn't absolutely thrilled with the gun considering the cost. Mind you, I don't have one but have been looking at them as well.

geoffm-at-localnet.com.46737.46707
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: : i was looking at the avanti/aa s200b.
: I saw my first Avanti today at the JORC we host. It would not be suitable for an adult unless they make another version than the one I saw. It was being used by a little 10 year old girl and fit her just fine.

I agree with Michael - the Valiant is a junior rifle, and is not suitable for a regular-sized adult (in competition). The older Valiants were larger and used riser-blocks, the newer versions have a smaller redesigned stock, forend, and shorter barrel, and have a cut-out in the forend where you can see the air cylinder (also no more riser-blocks). Very much a junior rifle in my opinion. Triggers are 2-stage, but have an unusual design that pivots at the front rather than sliding rearward - not the greatest... They are fairly accurate and trouble-free (our junior club has 12 of them).
What is your age? Are you planning on competing?

Jay
jverg-at-att.net.46738.46720
uaetcoj

Post by uaetcoj »

: What is your age? Are you planning on competing?
i am a "full grown" adult and i dont know about competing. i enjoy paper punching and its really just a hobby right now. i not sure what the 10m air gun scene is like in los angeles, where i live. i have shot a springer for a while and have been thinking about moving up to a 10m rifle. held a 603 and liked everything about it but im a little short of $1500 right now. thats what got me thinking about less expensive guns like the s200/avanti.

uaetcoj-at-yahoo.com.46748.46738
Jim

Post by Jim »

: i've been saving my pennies to get a 10m rifle. i have shot a 603 and i liked it. unfortunately, even used, they are expensive, .
If your looking for a 10 meter gun, and an Adult. Look into a Tau-200. I think there was one or two used ones on the Pilkguns site. They are CO2, but it will be a while before that limits you.
Jim
jmorris_3-at-yahoo.com.46755.46707
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: : What is your age? Are you planning on competing?
: i am a "full grown" adult and i dont know about competing. (snip)
As Jim said above, a TAU-200 or -200jr might be a good choice for you. At one point we had 7 of them in our club. A decent design, reliable, and a good deal used (about $300-400). The junior model is larger than a Valiant, and is just fine for a smaller adult (ambidextrous stock too). The adult model is pretty good sized, and has a good sized weight at the end of the barrel. If you buy one new you will need to buy the match rear sight (about $50). Most used ones seem to have it, but ask.
Pilkington -(931) 924-3400 - usually has some used ones available.

Jay
jverg-at-att.net.46756.46748