AW93 all steel

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Two Shanks

Re: AW93 all steel

Post by Two Shanks »

Always try to be respectful of my Aussie neighbors because I really like you guys and You are not shy about jumping into a fight. while I like a spirited discussion I seriously mean no malice.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

From an engineering point of view the slide looks like they tried to find a way to put as many stress raisers as possible into one component.

I believe I heard they did a run of nickel(?) plated slides and had a lot of trouble due to hydrogen embrittlement, so they went back to the blacked ones.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

A fellow shooter has an AW93 and has replaced the slide at least once.

Not sure of the cause.

Might be associated with using a recoil spring that is weak beyond specification and the slide was "hammering" the receiver.

Cheers,

Dave
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

Do You know what ammo he was using.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Two Shanks wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:09 pm Do You know what ammo he was using.
Sorry, my memory is not that good. I have not seen him since the 'Virus' began a year ago.

Cheers,

Dave
Leon

Post by Leon »

JamesHH wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:42 am From an engineering point of view the slide looks like they tried to find a way to put as many stress raisers as possible into one component.

I believe I heard they did a run of nickel(?) plated slides and had a lot of trouble due to hydrogen embrittlement, so they went back to the blacked ones.
It's true. The first series of AW93s had nickel plated slides. I was one of first in Australia to purchase one when they were released ( 1994/5/6?) so was a club mate.
His slide broke in the first week of use; I was a bit more fortunate as the slide on my one broke after about 24 years.
I also believe that FWB have since changed some of the internal geometry of slides in subsequent series to make them more robust.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

fc60 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:26 pm Greetings,

A fellow shooter has an AW93 and has replaced the slide at least once.

Not sure of the cause.

Might be associated with using a recoil spring that is weak beyond specification and the slide was "hammering" the receiver.

Cheers,

Dave
It would hit the recoil mass first, either way the springs need to be in balance.