I need to know Rules for Outdoor Shooting

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Josh

I need to know Rules for Outdoor Shooting

Post by Josh »

Hello, im a 15 year old, i want to purchase an air rifle, but my father says i am not able to shoot outside and he wont let me inside. Can u please tell me if i am allowed to shoot outside or not and some other rules revolving around Air rifles.
Gizzie_2000-at-hotmail.com.46662.0
Michèle

Re: I need to know Rules for Outdoor Shooting

Post by Michèle »

: Hello, im a 15 year old, i want to purchase an air rifle, but my father says i am not able to shoot outside and he wont let me inside. Can u please tell me if i am allowed to shoot outside or not and some other rules revolving around Air rifles.
Hi Josh,
The 'rules' for shooting air gun really depends on where you live. In my town, for example, it is against the law to shoot an airgun (or bb gun for that matter) anywhere within the town limits.
You may want to inquire with your local police station.
I would suggest you look to join a shooting club with a viable junior shooting program. Where do you live?

makpak3200-at-earthlink.net.46670.46662
Josh

Post by Josh »

: : Hello, im a 15 year old, i want to purchase an air rifle, but my father says i am not able to shoot outside and he wont let me inside. Can u please tell me if i am allowed to shoot outside or not and some other rules revolving around Air rifles.
: Hi Josh,
: The 'rules' for shooting air gun really depends on where you live. In my town, for example, it is against the law to shoot an airgun (or bb gun for that matter) anywhere within the town limits.
: You may want to inquire with your local police station.
: I would suggest you look to join a shooting club with a viable junior shooting program. Where do you live?

I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, thanks for your information, i'll have to call the police, do u have any information on a gun that i could purchase??

Gizzie_2000-at-hotmail.com.46671.46670
Helen

Post by Helen »

Josh: As long as the air gun is under 500ft/sec. & pressure of (I think) 200joule, it is not considered a firearm. However, in Ontario you cannot discharge an air gun inside the city, except at a range or in your own home with a range set up You really should join a junior program at a local gun club, in order to learn the safety, proper technique, etc. Maybe, then your father won't be so tough. There are some clubs in that area. Contact the Canadian Shooting Sports Assoc. (CSSA) at: www.cdnshootingsports.org, or e-mail: info@cdnshootingsports.org
They can give you clubs & contacts & ideas on what to buy. Also, ask them about the Canadian Air Gun Grand Prix, in Feb, in Toronto. It's the largest Air Gun competition in North America & there are usually lots of dealers & used guns.
Good Luck. Do it right!

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Just some additional info to amplify Helen's comments...
1) Canadian Firearms law classifies as a firearm any device capable of propelling a projectile at a velocity in excess of 500 feet per second (152.4 metres per second) AND with a muzzle energy in excess of 5.7 joules.
2) Most municipalities prohibit the discharge of Firearms within their boundries
3) Provincial law governing the way municipalties operate (The Municipal Act) grants municipalities the right to legislate the use of all kinds of "gun-like" things including firearms, bows, crossbows, airguns, and spring-guns within the boundries of the municipality.
4) Some municipalities have implemented by-laws which regulate all the devices which the Municipal Act allows them to, which essentially outlaws the discharge of everything from a slingshot to a cannon within town limits. Others have implemented their firearms discharge by-laws in a very "customized" format. So here in Ottawa you can't discharge an airgun within the "urban" area, but I can discharge one where I live in the more rural area, provided I'm not closer than 450 metres from a subdivision, church, school or other area of public gathering.
5) To stay on the right side of the law, you really have to check with your local town/city government to determine what the local firearms discharge by-laws are. You may NOT always get the correct answer if you call the police, because the officer who answers your question may not be completely familiar with that particular by-law. When in doubt, go to the source of the by-law, your municipal government.
6) Helen's comments about joining a local club are 100% on the mark. Shooting alone is fun, but shooting with others is a whole lot more fun, far more educational, and maybe even a bit competitive. Had it not been for the very helpful advice of fellow shooters, I wouldn't have learned as quickly as I have. I suspect you'll find the same thing.
7) The Shooting Federation of Canada (our national sport governing body) can also provide you with information regarding SFC-affiliated clubs in your area. You can find them on the web at http://sfc.ncf.ca/index_eng.htm .
I wish you great success in your pursuit of the shooting sports. They can be enjoyed your whole life long!

Mark.
akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

Josh if your father is not a shooter then you are probably out of luck shooting indoors. You can try to explain to him that millions of pellets are fired indoors with no problems but again whether you convince him is going to depend on personal circumstances. Like it or not Parents are the boss in their homes and personally I like that ;~) My son who is younger than you shoots regularly in the garage air gun range we built together and we spend very enjoyable time together out there 2 to 3 times a week. However he follows my rules when we shoot and safety is paramount always! Lead is handled safely, no fooling around allowed. : : : Hello, im a 15 year old, i want to purchase an air rifle, but my father says i am not able to shoot outside and he wont let me inside. Can u please tell me if i am allowed to shoot outside or not and some other rules revolving around Air rifles.
: : Hi Josh,
: : The 'rules' for shooting air gun really depends on where you live. In my town, for example, it is against the law to shoot an airgun (or bb gun for that matter) anywhere within the town limits.
: : You may want to inquire with your local police station.
: : I would suggest you look to join a shooting club with a viable junior shooting program. Where do you live?
:
: I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, thanks for your information, i'll have to call the police, do u have any information on a gun that i could purchase??