Lookiing for information on Trews sporting goods

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Promach

Lookiing for information on Trews sporting goods

Post by Promach »

I recently bought an Anschutz 1413 from an old friend that shot on the "All America", team in 1959. I ask him where he got it and he said that he shot with a guy named Barry Trew and that it came from his dads store in south western PA. Me being a history buff, would like to know more about a store that was selling fine firearms like this one.
whitefox545

Re: Lookiing for information on Trews sporting goods

Post by whitefox545 »

Promach, His grandson is a member here and can fill you in on everything "Buck Trew's gun shop" It was located in Bentlyville Pa. just south of Pittsburgh about 20 miles. I got my first .22 rifle there in the early 60's It was the place to go for sure!! His grandson Mark is an excellent shooter at Dormont Mt.Lebanon Sportsman Club and Mark still sells target shooting supply's on the classified section here frequently. Hope this helps!! J.L.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

I was hoping that Dean Trew would respond with details but he may be traveling. Dean is Barry Trew’s son.

Some interesting information can be found in this article:

https://archive.triblive.com/news/trew- ... rksmanship

Dean shoots at the Dormont club. I shoot at the Allegheny Country Rifle Club.

The best Dean and I can determine, we are not related.

MarkTrew
dbtrew

Post by dbtrew »

Hello Promach and whitefox545. My name is Dean Trew, and my grandfather C.W. Trew (Buck Trew) founded Trew's sport shot in the 1930s in Bentleyville Pennsylvania. My grandfather sponsored smallbore rifle teams in the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle League, the Mon Valley Rifle League (Monongahela River Valley) and also formed the Pigeon Creek Valley Rifle League in 1940. He had a 50-foot smallbore range in the basement of the store where many records were set.

My father R. Barry Trew was the first ever four-year All American for smallbore rifle, 1955-59. He shot on the Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning Georgia from 1959-1962, and shot with the USAR until 1968. Dad was a five-time National Indoor Champion 1956, 1962, 63, 64 and 1969. He was the U.S. 50-Meter International Champion at the National Matches at Camp Perry Ohio in 1958 and also was the collegiate national champion at Camp Perry in 1957 and 1958 (4-positions). He was also an alternate on the 1960 U.S. Olympic team for smallbore.

In addition to my father, many world-class rifle shooters, including Lones Wigger and Gary Anderson, shot on the Trew's Sport Shop range.

Trew's Sport Shop (originally called the Bentleyville Sport Shop) opened sometime in the 1930s. The earliest receipts I have at that address were from 1938. The shop sold Anschutz rifles and Eley ammunition in the 1950s as well as Winchester 52s and Remington 37s and 40x's. Virtually everyone locally called the store "Buck Trew's." Buck passed away in 1974, and my dad and his brother Jack Trew ran the store until both passed away in 1992.

When we had the estate auction in 1993, we had people who came to the auction from as far away as California, Winsor and Ontario CA, Alaska, Maine, Texas and Florida, all wanting to buy a last piece of this store.

I continue the family tradition of shooting smallbore and compete with Dormont-Mt. Lebanon in the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle team with clubs such as Frazier-Simplex and Murrysville. In 2004 Dormont-Mt. Lebanon became the first civilian team to win the NRA National Indoor Team Championship (4P) since 1980. We also won in 2017, and in 2016 we won the NRA Indoor Metric 3P Team Championship.

I hope this helps. Thanks to Mark Trew, a fellow shooter who is no relation, who let me know about this post. Mark shoots for the Allegheny Country Rifle Club in the PSRL, the oldest rifle team in our league.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

My apologies to Mark and Dean for the bad Info!! I will shut up now!! J.L.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

No apologies needed on my part. I am often confused for a brother or son.

And, not trying to put words in for Dean, but I don’t think he was offended.

MarkTrew
dbtrew

Post by dbtrew »

No worries! I couldn't be confused with a better guy!