Introduction

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Aetherpulse

Introduction

Post by Aetherpulse »

Hello everyone! I'm new to 10 meter air pistol shooting and thought I would introduce myself. I've been shooting for a while but only recently moved to air pistol because of ammo scarcity. I discovered that I prefer it! Shooting at home is nice.

Now that I know that I like it I would like to keep on with it, I'm looking for a nice pistol. An AP20, air arm Alfa proj or a tau 7 have caught my eye. I can't seem to find the tau7 for sale here in the states though. I would welcome any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks, Baron
Gwhite

Re: Introduction

Post by Gwhite »

Tau's are scarce. If you can't find one used, get an AP20. The only person I know who has an Alpha Proj is looking for someone who can repair them.
Aetherpulse

Post by Aetherpulse »

It looks like Taus are still being made. Are they just not imported?
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Why CO2 and not PCP (or Single-Stroke Pneumatic)? Curious

I never considered a CO2 because I like the possibility of recharging it at home. Anything I am missing?
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Aetherpulse

Post by Aetherpulse »

gimgim wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:51 pm Why CO2 and not PCP (or Single-Stroke Pneumatic)? Curious

I never considered a CO2 because I like the possibility of recharging it at home. Anything I am missing?
I'm not sure if I want the extra equipment (pump, air tank etc...) and honestly, I kind of like how it looks and I'm part Czech...
Aetherpulse

Post by Aetherpulse »

gimgim wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:53 pm Here is a Tau7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAU-7-CO2-AIR- ... 4348286684
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> honestly, I kind of like how it looks and I'm part Czech...

Makes sense :-)

Can you order it directly from here: http://www.taubrno.com/tau-7-----compact--walnut-en ?
You wouldn't pay VAT, so the cost would be slightly less than $500

One of my coworkers is working remotely from Prague and I am thinking whether I should ask him to bring me one on his way back.
I also like the look, but I am not sure I want to deal with the pain of CO2 refills (I use a manual pump for the PCP)
machinist mike

Post by machinist mike »

I don't understand the problem with CO2. I shoot a pair of Steyr LP-5 pistols. Fill up the tanks from my bulk tank and I am good for 100+ shots. Filling the tanks is simply a matter of putting the pistols tanks in the freezer for a bit, screwing the cold tanks on to the bulk CO2 tank and cracking the valve on the bulk tank, DONE. Close the valve on the bulk tank, unscrew the pistol tank from the bulk tank, and you are ready to go. LP-5 is great in that you have a magazine fed 5 shot Olympic grade target pistol that will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger, and is capable of putting all 5 in the same hole. 20 lb siphon feed bulk CO2 tank can be had at any welding supply and will last for a veerry llooonng time. If you wants a single shot, the Steyr LP-1 is the same in a single shot.

machinist Mike
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

I guess for me the issue would be the bulk tank, not insurmountable, but annoying to refill.
I tend to buy everything online, shipped to my door (lazy). A SSP or a PCP with a manual pump requires no planning and driving around with a tank.
Aetherpulse

Post by Aetherpulse »

gimgim wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm > honestly, I kind of like how it looks and I'm part Czech...

Makes sense :-)

Can you order it directly from here: http://www.taubrno.com/tau-7-----compact--walnut-en ?
You wouldn't pay VAT, so the cost would be slightly less than $500

One of my coworkers is working remotely from Prague and I am thinking whether I should ask him to bring me one on his way back.
I also like the look, but I am not sure I want to deal with the pain of CO2 refills (I use a manual pump for the PCP)
I sent them an email asking if they ship to the USA but have not heard back from them yet. If I get a PCP I intend on a hand pump.
machinist mike

Post by machinist mike »

Admittedly, refilling or exchanging a CO2 tank can be a pain. But, filling a pistol tank uses all of 53 grams of CO2, a 20 lb tank will give you approx. 170 fills. I don't know how many pellet's that equals, but its gotta be a bunch.

Mike
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Hi and welcome. No complaints for the AP20 from me. Used one for the last 2 years with no issues
Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Air Arms don't originally make the AlfaProj, it's a Czech made pistol, they only license it.
My first target pistol was a CO2 AlfaProj Sport, and it's a dream to shoot. Even for CO2 it stayed consistent across 60+ shots.
Aetherpulse

Post by Aetherpulse »

Heard back from tau brno. Looks like they're sold out of everything until next year. So that's off the table unless something used comes up.

I knew that the Alfa proj was Czech made. That's why I've been considering it. Don't know why being Czech is so important, but I guess I'm weird like that.
Aetherpulse

Post by Aetherpulse »

To anyone wondering, I went with an AP20 and a hill pump. Looking forward to getting some practice in soon!

Baron
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

machinist mike wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:38 pm 20 lb siphon feed bulk CO2 tank can be had at any welding supply and will last for a veerry llooonng time.
machinist Mike
Mike we use a CO2 tank with a siphon to refill the tanks for paintball guns in our Scouting program.
I am surprised to hear that a valve with a siphon is used to refil a CO2 air pistol.
I would have thought you would just want compressed CO2 gas in the air pistol, not liquid CO2. Can you help me understand that better?
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're filling your paintball guns with liquid CO2, why would you wonder why we fill our pellet pistols with liquid, too?
David M

Post by David M »

"I am surprised to hear that a valve with a siphon is used to refil a CO2 air pistol.
I would have thought you would just want compressed CO2 gas in the air pistol, not liquid CO2. Can you help me understand that better?"

CO2 pistols need liquid CO2 in the tank to function.
Pressure control uses the Reed Vapour pressure of CO2 to give you a constant pressure.
The tank has both liquid and gas under pressure, typical room temperature is about 800 psi.
When you fire a shot, the pressure drops a little, some of the liquid boils to a gas and the pressure recovers.
While there is liquid in the tank, the pressure stay near constant.
Temperature is the biggest killer of CO2 pistols, typically hot summer days and car boots.
Vapour pressure CO2
0 deg F = 300 psi
70 deg F = 850 psi
140 deg F = 3170 psi
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

David M wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:25 pm While there is liquid in the tank, the pressure stay near constant.
Temperature is the biggest killer of CO2 pistols, typically hot summer days and car boots.
Thank you. I appreciate your answer.