Questions about smallbore rifle barrel and potential sale it

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Joseph

Questions about smallbore rifle barrel and potential sale it

Post by Joseph »

I have decided that the balance point of my smallbore rifle needs to move to more closely emulate my air rifle in an atempt to end up with more similar position dynamics between the two rifles. Before i get started, i'd like to say that i'm talking about a 2002CA-Alu and a a 2313/690-alu.
Unfortunately, my rough estimates would need about 1.5-2kg of weight at the absolute back of the stock to move the balance point the 5 inches or so that i need. This isn't going to be easy to add 2kg of lead, as i have calculated that it would take 10.7 cubic inches of lead (conversion based on: 1kg=2.2lbs, density of lead: 708lbs/cubic foot). It's doable, but...i'm not sure about whether that solution (because of my particular position, etc) would be viable.
It was also suggested to me to try a lighter barrel. The guy who suggested it also suggested Lilja or Hart fluted barrels. I know the Uniqu Rajmond Debevec used to win the olympics was a fluted barrel, and I know that many other top athletes use non-standard barrels on very complex guns. But I've also heard that Anschutz makes the best barrels in the world.
I would like any information you have about these barrels and my woes in general. If anyone knows of a place to get relatively cheap and save depeted uranium, i might be interested in making a stock weight out of that, 'cuz it's more dense than lead and it'd just be cool.
Also, any information anyone has about barreling in general would be apreciated: twist lengths, barrel whip, barrel harmonics, relationship b/t twist and overall length, etc.
Oh yeah, if you haven't figured it out, i'm a geek and a soon to be engineer, bear this in mind when answering.
side note, would it be possible (i'll figure out legality later) to bring a Unique X-Concept or plans for one to a gunsmith/machine shop and have them make a mirror-image left-handed variety? I'm a huge fan of those stocks, and unfortuantely to my knowlege they never made a left-handed rifle...It'd be cool to own the only one, even if it's a reproduction.

Depending on what i decide to do, i may have a 690mm anschutz barrel for a 20xx action for sale, possibly w/ or w/o the action, maybe a 2313 stock, possibly a mec free position, possibly a (slightly modified) anschutz butplate. All items (except buttplates) are true left handed. Non-committal information requests should be e-mailed at some point. The rifle is over a year old, but it has been shot less than a dozen times, as wolf creek (my former home and only sb range) closed about a week after i bought the thing.
gtg054r-at-mail.gatech.edu.46606.0
pdeal

Re: Questions about smallbore rifle barrel and potential sal

Post by pdeal »

Joseph: The 2313 uses the square action right? I think it does. You might also consider looking for a used anschutz takeoff barrel of the short variety. I have rebarreled a few anschutz rifles and one of them I used an anschutz takeoff barrel and cut about 6" off of the breech. I then made a 10" screw on bloop tube to get my sight radius back. I found that to be a very nice handling rifle. Mine was done on a round action but it would be a lot easier on the square action. I think I could point you to a source for a used short barrel. This would be a much cheaper option to experiment with. If this interests you email me.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.46619.46606
Michael Ray

Re: Questions about smallbore rifle barrel

Post by Michael Ray »

: It was also suggested to me to try a lighter barrel. The guy who suggested it also suggested Lilja or Hart fluted barrels. I know the Uniqu Rajmond Debevec used to win the olympics was a fluted barrel, and I know that many other top athletes use non-standard barrels on very complex guns. But I've also heard that Anschutz makes the best barrels in the world.
I wouldn't agree with that. The great majority of their barrels are good, but few are great. The majority of top shooters use "normal" barrels, whether they are aftermarket or OEM. Anyway, the below link is to an article I think you'll enjoy if you haven't found it already.
: Also, any information anyone has about barreling in general would be apreciated: twist lengths, barrel whip, barrel harmonics, relationship b/t twist and overall length, etc.
I'm not even going to get into this can of worms. While there's clearly science behind some of this, it really is an artform. Because of the inherent finicky nature of the .22LR cartridge, any barrel from any manufacturer put on by any gunsmith may be a hummer or a winger. You roll the dice and hope for the best. That's not to say you won't have a higher success rate with some combinations, but to say you need to buy this barrel from xyz to solve your problems just isn't true.
: side note, would it be possible (i'll figure out legality later) to bring a Unique X-Concept or plans for one to a gunsmith/machine shop and have them make a mirror-image left-handed variety?
I don't see why not. I know someone that's designed their own ALU stocks out of a solid block and this would be no different. I doubt Unique had a US patent for it. You wouldn't be selling it anyway - that's the big point.
My short answer to your question though would be to buy an Anschutz short barrel and an extension tube. Or just cut down the one you have if it's a good barrel. Could you do better? Most likely but you may have to try several different barrels, which becomes pretty expensive. That's not even counting testing various lots and all the torque settings with each barrel.
You will likely still need a fair amount of weight in the back though since the ALU stock is so light.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Don't cut anschutz barrels off at the muzzle they should be cut at the breech. On a smallbore barrel you want the muzzle to be the tightest point in the bore. Most anschutz barrels are very tight at the muzzle but can be very loose in the middle. If you cut much off of the muzzle you may wind up with a scrap barrel.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.46622.46621
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

: Most anschutz barrels are very tight at the muzzle but can be very loose in the middle. If you cut much off of the muzzle you may wind up with a scrap barrel.
I guess I didn't specify that, but in general that's true. That's also why most Anschutz barrels are good but not great - the choke. The majority of aftermarket barrels people put on have much less or no choke.