need advise

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jim Atkins

need advise

Post by Jim Atkins »

My 13 year old daughter expressed an interest in shooting a few months ago so she enrolled in a local club. On Saturdays she shoots a club 540JR. To help her along, I purchased a Challenger 2000 and set up a 10 meter basement range.
It seems that she has really taken to the air rifle, I suppose partly do to the weight difference. The folks at the club where she shoots (and of course me also) see a lot of potential- and here is where I need some advise---
1) From what I understand both the Anschutz Junior and the P70 Junior differ only in the length of the stock and barrel from the full size rifles. If this is so, is it just a matter of buying a full size stock and barrel extension to upgrade these rifles from JR to SR models?
2) Is there any place reasonably close to Newark, Delaware where she can put hands on to these rifles? I'm guessing the only actual difference boils down to how they feel to the shooter.
and finally,
3) My shooting experience is over 30 years old and I obviously have more bad habits than good- what coaching books are recommended for me?
thanks for your input
Jim
jcmatkins-at-rcn.com.46519.0
Jay V

Re: need advise

Post by Jay V »

: My 13 year old daughter expressed an interest in shooting a few months ago so she enrolled in a local club. On Saturdays she shoots a club 540JR. To help her along, I purchased a Challenger 2000 and set up a 10 meter basement range.
(snip)
: 1) From what I understand both the Anschutz Junior and the P70 Junior differ only in the length of the stock and barrel from the full size rifles.

Hi Jim,
I run a junior 3P air rifle club in the Chicago area with about 30 shooters.
You asked for advise...
I would recommend getting her started with a "sporter" air rifle, vs. a "precision" air rifle like the FWB or Walther.
Your Challenger 2000 was designed as a sporter-class air rifle, but unfortunately turned out to be not quite as accurate as needed to be truely competitive. Daisy has taked the lead with the 753/853/888 series and XS-40 Valiant rifles. The Daisy rifles are dependable and accurate, and use Walther Lothar barrels (753/853/888). They range from pump to CO2 to precharged air (Valiant).
Sporter-class air rifle limits the cost required to be competitive. Guns are limited to just a few less expensive ($200 - $500) models, and shooting jackets/pants/boots etc are not allowed - just 2 sweatshirts, a shooting glove, and regular street clothing. The competition at the top of the sporter class is tough, but there is a lot more room to work your way up without getting really discouraged. Precision 3P is extremely serious, and there is really no reason to enter it until a shooter can score in the 530-550 range with a sporter gun.
Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Jay Vergenz
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
jverg-at-att.net.46521.46519
Moi

Post by Moi »

I would recommend "Competitive Shooting" by A.A. Yur'yev. Read amazon.com's blurb on it here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/flex- ... ted-review
Find a dirt cheap copy on e-bay, here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3570185303
It'll probably have ended by the time you read this, but you might want to email the seller if it hasn't sold. He might sell it outright.
Also, when you want to advise your daughter regarding spelling, you can look up the difference between "advice" (noun) and "advise" (verb) here: www.dictionary.com
Randy

Post by Randy »

Another good book is the "Way of the Rifle" it would be easier to obtain then the other book mentioned, since it has been out of print so long. The "Way of the Rifle" pertains more to precision shooting, but the principles still largely apply.

: My 13 year old daughter expressed an interest in shooting a few months ago so she enrolled in a local club. On Saturdays she shoots a club 540JR. To help her along, I purchased a Challenger 2000 and set up a 10 meter basement range.
: It seems that she has really taken to the air rifle, I suppose partly do to the weight difference. The folks at the club where she shoots (and of course me also) see a lot of potential- and here is where I need some advise---
: 1) From what I understand both the Anschutz Junior and the P70 Junior differ only in the length of the stock and barrel from the full size rifles. If this is so, is it just a matter of buying a full size stock and barrel extension to upgrade these rifles from JR to SR models?
: 2) Is there any place reasonably close to Newark, Delaware where she can put hands on to these rifles? I'm guessing the only actual difference boils down to how they feel to the shooter.
: and finally,
: 3) My shooting experience is over 30 years old and I obviously have more bad habits than good- what coaching books are recommended for me?
: thanks for your input
: Jim

randy-at-srv.net.46528.46519
Randy

Post by Randy »

Another good book is the "Way of the Rifle" it would be easier to obtain then the other book mentioned, since it has been out of print so long. The "Way of the Rifle" pertains more to precision shooting, but the principles still largely apply.

: It seems that she has really taken to the air rifle, I suppose partly do to the weight difference. The folks at the club where she shoots (and of course me also) see a lot of potential- and here is where I need some advise---
: 1) From what I understand both the Anschutz Junior and the P70 Junior differ only in the length of the stock and barrel from the full size rifles. If this is so, is it just a matter of buying a full size stock and barrel extension to upgrade these rifles from JR to SR models?
: 2) Is there any place reasonably close to Newark, Delaware where she can put hands on to these rifles? I'm guessing the only actual difference boils down to how they feel to the shooter.
: and finally,
: 3) My shooting experience is over 30 years old and I obviously have more bad habits than good- what coaching books are recommended for me?
: thanks for your input
: Jim

randy-at-srv.net.46529.46519
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: : 3) My shooting experience is over 30 years old and I obviously have more bad habits than good- what coaching books are recommended for me?
: Another good book is the "Way of the Rifle" it would be easier to obtain then the other book mentioned, since it has been out of print so long. The "Way of the Rifle" pertains more to precision shooting, but the principles still largely apply.

I totally agree with Randy's recommendation of Ways Of The Rifle. There is no better book available on the techniques of 3P shooting.
Pilkington or Center Shot Sports have them for $45. It's well worth the price in my opinion.

Jay

jverg-at-att.net.46530.46528
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Regarding the difference in the P-70 and the P-70 JR, I have some experience with these. I have owned both the JR and the P-70 standard, both in laminated wood stocks.
The difference between two FWB rifles is that the Junior has a stock with a shorter pull length, and does not have the removable weight in the fore stock, under the barrel. The Junior also lacks the anti recoil devise on the left hand side of the reciver. The barrel cover on the junior is also shorter than the Standard length FWB P-70.
The propulsion machinery, trigger, sights and the actual barrel are the same for both the standard P-70, and the Junior. Performance of the two is the same with the exception of the recoil reduction devise on the Addult P-70.
You can buy all the parts needed to convert from the junior to the standard. You can find butt pad extenders and a Mec tube and duplicate the length of sight radius and length of pull. Weights can be added to the Junior, or removed from the standard.
I shoot my P-70 at home and without all the levery used in more formal competition. I like a rifle that weights close to 9.5 pounds. I can make either the junior or the standard P-70 weigh that amount.
Hope this is of some help.
Resspectfuly,
Bubba
PS. To the dictionary police. I am providing my humble opinion at no charge. I own a dictionary and frankly don't give a damn about grammer and spelling, as long as the point is made, and the answere is helpful. I also am not offended by some jerk with a dictionary. Some of my best friends have a good time with with my mis-spelling and poor grammer. Have a nice day Ya'll
Bubba

DanielHankiins-at-wmconnec.com.46532.46519
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

You don't want the Yur Yev book. Ways of the Rifle is the best right now though I think Shooting For Gold by William Krilling (long-time AMU coach) would be more appropriate for your level and it's only $11-12.
I like Jay's idea of starting her with a real sporter air rifle.