Wifi camera used for target monitors

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brazos

Wifi camera used for target monitors

Post by Brazos »

I have been wearing out the search function for info on this but not much coming up and I know it’s been done. I want to use a wireless security type camera to use as a target monitor on my home 10M range. Is there a decent, cheap, Bluetooth camera I can use and monitor over an iPad?
aalbert

Re: Wifi camera used for target monitors

Post by aalbert »

If at home, a wired camera would probably be more trouble free long term ... Just access the video stream wirelessly on your iPad. Pretty much all of the camera vendors have direct access to the image stream from a Browser / iPad / App.
David M

Post by David M »

Search FPV, drone and plane for 5.8g camera, screen and transmitter.
Very easy to set up.
https://www.foxtechfpv.com/fpv-equipment.html
https://www.empirerc.com/fpv-racing-and ... c-447.html
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

I appreciate your help but I guess I should expand my original post a little to say I am not a tech guy. I was just hoping for a link to a camera on amazon or somewhere. That said the whole drone camera thing is intriguing but over my head. So I would need a camera, transmitter, monitor, but what about power? Sounds like drone camera would be a stand alone unit I could use elsewhere besides inside my house. If you could give me a link to each component I would need that would be great. Thanks.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

If you just want a Wifi cam here is one that will work, and not require a lot of integrating parts - https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD ... 635&sr=8-3
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

This one is for sale today (deal a day) on woot.com.

https://www.woot.com/offers/amazon-ring ... _gw_dly_tl

(note... it says adjustable motion detection so not sure if would stay on for an extended time).
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

The Stick Up cams by Ring require motion (though you can view in setup mode), aren't as high resolution, and require a round trip the cloud for the video signal - I would not recommend them for this application (I design home automation and security systems for my day job -- from 1 to 200 cameras per location).
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Thanks aalbert.

One other option to consider is using a scope mount for your phone:

https://www.amscope.com/eyepiece-mounte ... lsrc=aw.ds
Gonzav71

Post by Gonzav71 »

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020860275?pid=857814
This is an add on to your spotting scope. Using Wi-Fi, it uses an app on your phone or tablet to view the image on your spotting scope.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Has anybody tried the Hikvision camera linked by aalbert? looks simple, which i need.

mike
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Well after looking I rolled the dice and bought this: https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wire ... 79de2d236f

It was only $25 and my initial tests it works very well. It is live feed so I can see exactly where my shot went real time. The only negative would be is the camera doesn’t have a zoom lense so you have to mount it close. That’s only a problem if I were to use an AR-5/10 target with the 10 bulls and 2 sighters on one target. Though you can see all the bulls (and hits) on the target some will be at quite and angle when the camera is mounted close to the target (in my case the camera is mounted above the target). So in my case, since I currently have the camera mounted above the target, the bottom half of the AR-5/10 target it may be more difficult to see exactly how much to adjust the sights due to the angle at which you are viewing. If the camera had some sort of telephoto lense where you could mount the camera 5’-10’ away the angle would be more square with the target. Not complaining as for $25 it’s cheap and works well. Heck for another $25 I could get a second camera and mount the second one below the target. I probably won’t do that though as it is not that big of a deal. I really just wanted this set up for my daughter so it is more like the Sirus target system she uses at school. Now she can at least see real time where her shots are landing (without a spotting scope) and after a shooting session she can score her target using her TargetScan app.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Does it focus on a single bull or are you showing all bulls for a 10 bull or 20 bull target(s).
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

It would focus on a single bull if you put it right in front of front of a single bull. Since you have to move it out of the line of fire you can see multiple bulls all of which are in focus. It’s just that you mount the camera out of the line of fire that means some of the bulls, on a multi bull target, will be viewed at more of an angle. It’s not too big of a deal. For $25 it’s well worth checking out. Currently I have the camera in my living room checking what the dogs are up to while at work. The camera works great and I will probably order a couple more just to have around the house. If you put a SIMS card in it it will continuously record live feed w/o the need of WiFi.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I tried the Wyze cam referenced above. The price is right and it certainly is a cute little bugger. Unfortunately it works only on 2.4 ghz routers and mine is a 5ghz with no dual band. So I will try again, this time with a 5ghz compatible cam.

Mike
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

What Mike says is true. After I got it it did say in the manual 2.4 and would not work with 5ghz. I am not a tech guy and had no clue what all that meant. Now I believe my router must be dual band. Love the camera though. Right now it’s in the living room and I check on my dogs during the day. One day I saw one of my dogs getting into mischief and I told her over the camera speaker NO and she stopped. Works great. Once it cools off in TX and I can use my unairconditioned Range I will move it. I can see me buying a second camera for $25.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

I'm "video camera challenged" and need something to enable me to see my 22LR bullet holes at 100 yards in the shade. There is no electrical source available on the range, so all equipment would need to be powered by batteries. I do have an Apple smartphone. The target is about four feet high and one foot wide (smallbore). Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
rpm

Post by rpm »

I suggest you look into SME SpotShot. I use it with my spotting scope on my 10M range in my basement. It uses WiFi and I see the target. on my iPad.
I put a review on Amazon with pictures so you can see the setup.

The image is very clear and you can see your shots perfectly.

Best of luck
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I did get my IT guy to go into my 5ghz and "slow" it down to 2.4ghz, connected the Wyze cam, and then turned it back to 5ghz. It worked - I was just to chicken to mess up Hulu for She Who Must Be Obeyed. The Wyze app is only on my iPhone so I mirror the picture to my main TV. Amazingly it works. I can now remove my spotting scope on a tripod from my living room, which admittedly looked a tad sketchy.

Mike