Mouldable plastic

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ade C

Mouldable plastic

Post by Ade C »

I need to add some material to some black plastic grips. There are various products on the market such as Sugru and Polymorph. Any recommendations or alternatives?
trev

Re: Mouldable plastic

Post by trev »

I have used milliput which is an epoxy putty which is highly adhesive to most materials and drys hard. When its soft you can fix it to the grip and then grip it to get it to the rough shape and then you can file or grind it with a dremel to get an exact fit.
Rover

Post by Rover »

trev wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 am I have used milliput which is an epoxy putty which is highly adhesive to most materials and drys hard. When its soft you can fix it to the grip and then grip it to get it to the rough shape and then you can file or grind it with a dremel to get an exact fit.
I bought kneadable epoxy at Home Depot. The one I bought was for underwater pool repair. It was the cheapest. It has been many years and is still going strong. I worked mine with a rasp and coarse sandpaper. It came in a clear plastic tube. You just cut off a piece, knead it with your fingers, and slap it on. It's hard to get off your hands, so wear gloves.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Yes, I've used epoxy putty before but for this application it needs to be removable which is why I figured on plastic as I'm guessing it will peel off when heated
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't imagine plastic grips are very expensive.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Expensive is a relative term. It's for a Hammerli AP20 which I'd like to be able to return to original condition if I ever chose to sell it
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Sugru is nice but will leave a residue when you peel it off. On my walnut grip it left little flecks in the stippling which can't really be removed unless you remove some wood too. Just an aesthetic consequence, but it may matter in your case.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

made a small review of 3 grip products: https://youtu.be/Gg6xAu7zcDM
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Pardini SP
CFP: Pardini HP
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
BR50: CZ 457 LRP
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Excellent review there Azmodan. Looks like those products would be difficult to remove once set. Also not sure baking plastic grips would be a good idea!
I'll take the plunge and get some polymorph or similar and report back on it's suitability.
The grips are comfortable enough, but there's a small void at the centre of my palm which isn't in contact with them. I'm assuming this is not desirable?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A void in the center of your palm is not an issue. Any pressure sideways on the grip can cause it to twist if your grip pressure varies. That area isn't too much of a problem, but you want as much as possible to have the pressure on the grip to be in line with the bore. Having a grip that "fits like a glove" may feel great, but unless your grasp on it is absolutely identical every time, every day, it's not necessarily good for accuracy.

If you can vary your gripping pressure without having the pistol twist in your hand, THEN you've got a good grip.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Good advice, thanks. It doesn't twist with varying pressure so guess it's a good fit. Strangely I can shoot my Gamo Compact equally well or even a little better and that's got a much chunkier, hand filling grip which is why I thought a modification might improve the situation