blinder for 30mm scope

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mazrimtaim

blinder for 30mm scope

Post by mazrimtaim »

Do y'all have any suggestions for a blinder for a scope with a 30mm tube?
Tim S

Re: blinder for 30mm scope

Post by Tim S »

A blinder for your non-aiming eye? You could bend a piece of thin translucent plastic, and tape that to the ocular. Alternatively, why not attach the blinder to a headband or cap?
RByars

Post by RByars »

Butler flip up lens cover rotated so it acts as a blinder.
ZD

Post by ZD »

For our juniors with iron sights, we usually cut plastic blinders from 2 gallon milk jugs and fix it to their iris. You want translucent plastic as was stated above because it allows some light to still pass to your non-dominant eye. Personally I use a sweatband or a backwards hat (sweat band works better) and tuck a blinder in my sweatband. This allows me to position it just so on my left eye; I found that I had a better field of view for things like wind flags this way. A blinder coming off of the left side of a rear sight (or a scope in your case) seems to block too much. But, I am sure it would be pretty easy to cut out some plastic from a milk container and attach it to your scope.
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

1/4” packaging foam. NOT styrofoam. It’s in sheet form and a little stretchy so if you cut it with scissors just a bit on the small side it will snug right on. Shape to fit a size that works for you.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

DavZee wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:34 pm 1/4” packaging foam. NOT styrofoam. It’s in sheet form and a little stretchy so if you cut it with scissors just a bit on the small side it will snug right on. Shape to fit a size that works for you.
I did something similar with corplast (corrugated plastic).
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

ZD wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:05 pm For our juniors with iron sights, we usually cut plastic blinders from 2 gallon milk jugs and fix it to their iris. You want translucent plastic as was stated above because it allows some light to still pass to your non-dominant eye.
I used to make these but the problem was that they have to be fitted onto the rear iris tube (screwed onto the tube). I found that they become bent and worn out when the gun is placed in the case.

I created a simple solution by cutting a 100mm x 20mm section of translucent or white coroplast. The coroplast is rigid. Drill a hole on one end slightly smaller than the diameter or the rear iris tube. then cut diagonal section out of the end up to the drilled hole. This allows the user to 'slip on' when setting up the rifle for shooting and 'slip off' the blinder when putting the rifle away. its snug and adjustable.

mazrimtaim

Post by mazrimtaim »

thanks that'll definitely work