Hammerli 208 reliability?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Peter

Hammerli 208 reliability?

Post by Peter »

Just picked up a Hammerli 208 and I am really impressed with quality of workmanship and just the feel of the pistol.
I have been told 208's are sometimes picky about ammunition. Another shooter at our club wished me luck if the range was cold (often is in Canada)Is any of this true?
Is there any other things I should be aware of in regards to the 208? Shoots best clean? Shoots best dirty? Appreciate any hints or pointers in regards to keeping the pistol functioning properly.
walmarpr-at-bmts.com.46444.0
Fabian

Re: Hammerli 208 reliability?

Post by Fabian »

Mine works flawlessly, accepts every type of ammo, I ussually shot Eley or the less expensive Belliot club. (No problem with any of those). As to the cleaning, it's not a high maintenance gun. I have mine since 1983, no problem with it. The only thing that bothers me is that the sights are to small. For that reason I preffer to use my Pardini Sp. P.S. I live in the tropic, so I can tell if it performs well in cold weather.
Fabiancancio-at-aol.com.46455.46444
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have had my 208 for twenty five years.
It has been extremely reliable with every type of ammo I have put through it. I currently use either Wolf or CCI standard velocity.
The ONLY trouble I have ever had was a dirty chamber (operator error)which allowed the gun to fire without the round being completely chambered. THis resulted in blowing out the ejector and associated parts. Easily fixed.
Larry Carter who is the owner of Larry's Guns and is one of the premier Hammerli gurus, suggests using a .223 size brass brush bent at a 90 degree angle to clean out the chamber real well to prevent this from happening. You simply insert the 90 degree angled brush into the chamber and then spin it around to get the chamber nice and clean.
Other than this instance, I have always cleaned the gun after 1500 - 2000 rounds with no problems whatsoever.
You have a great pistol - enjoy the heck out of it!!

Paul

: Just picked up a Hammerli 208 and I am really impressed with quality of workmanship and just the feel of the pistol.
: I have been told 208's are sometimes picky about ammunition. Another shooter at our club wished me luck if the range was cold (often is in Canada)Is any of this true?
: Is there any other things I should be aware of in regards to the 208? Shoots best clean? Shoots best dirty? Appreciate any hints or pointers in regards to keeping the pistol functioning properly.

fpfiglia-at-earthlink.net.46457.46444
Michael

Post by Michael »

The people who tell you such things are usually jealous. My two Hammerli 208s's are the most reliable and accurate pistols I have ever owned. They shoot just about any standard velocity ammo well. Mine shoot sub 2" groups all day long with inexpensive ammo and 1-1 1/2" groups with certain pistol match ammo and some Eley Tenex. I've gotten quite a few sub 1" ten shot groups from the machine rest at 50 yards (best ten shot group was .76"). You probably have the ideal pistol for standard or bullseye pistol shooting. I love my two-stage trigger. The gun does real well clean or dirty, but I do try to keep the chamber clean with a bent brush and swab out the chamber with Q-Tips. I never use a brush on the bore, just patches with solvent followed by dry patches using a pull through trimmer line. I do lube the hammer and sear with the moly lube that Larry Carter uses and sells. I do this about once a year after I detail strip the gun for a good cleaning. Most all the top shooters that I know use a Hammerli 208s.
: Just picked up a Hammerli 208 and I am really impressed with quality of workmanship and just the feel of the pistol.
: I have been told 208's are sometimes picky about ammunition. Another shooter at our club wished me luck if the range was cold (often is in Canada)Is any of this true?
: Is there any other things I should be aware of in regards to the 208? Shoots best clean? Shoots best dirty? Appreciate any hints or pointers in regards to keeping the pistol functioning properly.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I have used the 208 and 208S off and on for over 20 years and have never encountered any problems with it! Feeds almost any ammo, even cheap practise ammo with no problems, but you might want to keep the ejection port and the feed ramp area clean. I just use Q-tips and toothpicks with a ggod gun oil when necessary. For the chamber and bore, I use a nylon .22 brush or just wet patches.
Congratulations on getting your hands on what could be one of the best .22s there ever was! Don't ever let it go!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Just one advice, don't ever sell it!!there are no more around,It is the best 22 ever made.

Peter

Thanks everybody!

Post by Peter »

Thanks for allaying my fears, I was hoping it was 208 envy that was causing all the negative comments, and I certainly plan on holding on to this one for a long time.
Christopher

Re: Thanks everybody!

Post by Christopher »

Peter, with proper care/use, yhe 208 could probablt last you forever! Just resist to muck around with the insides - the Swiss have already created perfection. Don't hang on to it for a long time man...hang on to it forever! It's a work of art in my opinion! I wish I was as lucky as you...SIGH!
: Thanks for allaying my fears, I was hoping it was 208 envy that was causing all the negative comments, and I certainly plan on holding on to this one for a long time.

Christopher

Schematics drawing of the 208

Post by Christopher »

P.S. I have a JPEG Image of the entire schmetics drawings for the 208, in case you want it. :-)

Richard

Re: Schematics drawing of the 208

Post by Richard »

: P.S. I have a JPEG Image of the entire schmetics drawings for the 208, in case you want it. :-)
I would like it.

govtmodel-at-budweiser.com.46515.46509
Peter

Would appreciate a copy1

Post by Peter »

Please forward when you have a chance, it would be handy to have on file. TIA.

walmarpr-at-bmts.com.46523.46509
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Forgive me, I am a PC klutz. OK, the image is in JPEG. Not that Hi-Res but sharp enough for you to identify the numbered parts.
Gimme your e-mail and I will send it to you.
Cheers and have a Happy Holiday!
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

OK...did a search and guess where I found it?
http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/h208ex.htm
I earlier forgot where I got it from! :-)
Christopher

Disassembly of the 208

Post by Christopher »

Also you can go here for disassembly instructions:
http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sph208.htm