Problem with just received Toz 35m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trboat

Problem with just received Toz 35m

Post by trboat »

Hello all,

I just received the gun from FFL and I find it appears the action is charged and set trigger engaged but I have no function.
The action lever swings freely and the set lever hits it stop with no effect while the trigger has a long pull with some spring tension but also no effect- stop hit.
The pistol is in the as received condition in these boxed current kits- seemingly unfired.

What is the move here?

I am reluctant to start pulling the action apart with the gun cocked and have read warnings that the mechanism should not be stored in this condition and the obvious case that I would like to get to the range and clean the target (which for some reason you peasants have failed to do lo these many years..).

First move to free action?

Thanks
Last edited by trboat on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparky

Re: Problem with just received Toz 35m

Post by sparky »

I no longer have one, but I'm sure there's a way to manual release the tension on the striker spring. Probably requires taking off the grip and/or forend.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Easy to remedy....
The trigger adjustment screw aft of the trigger is misadjusted. If it is screwed in too far, the seat will never catch when you set the trigger and the gun will never fire....... Adjust it by screwing or counterclockwise 1/4 turn and recheck it....... It's a fairly fine adjustment and I doubt it will need to go very far to get the trigger working again......bone of the joys of unfired guns.....
trboat

Post by trboat »

Grrrrrrrr.

New gun day goes this way on occasion.
So I bought this from an older gentleman who had bought the kit years back and put a new laminated Rink grip, the Toz-Balance forearm and little sight widget and never shot the gun.
The gear was kitted in a pelican case and sat...
And sat..

So the foam drew off the oil and the gun was DRY.

The rink grip is a L and fits my 92mm hand great and it’s nice being so adjustable.
The kit came with five front blades and five rear plates.
No combination leaves a broad aperture sight picture which seems odd so maybe I will make one up.
I’ll get out to the range and see how she goes.

Thanks all- appreciated
Last edited by trboat on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

With my TOZ35, I installed the smallest rear sight (the most useless) and used a 3/16" chainsaw file to hog out the notch to the famed Russian "U" that kicked everyone's butt back in the day. Plenty large enough.
trboat

Post by trboat »

Ok- that is kicking in an assault on my collectors instinct again.
Scrub a notch in my vintage sight blade on a Toz with a chainsaw file.

Boy I need help..

Maybe I will have the barrel Ceracoated safety orange as a step 1 in the 12 point 'fussy gun owners intervention program'..
The first step is admitting you have a problem...
Last edited by trboat on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think you need to give the "Ice in Your Bourbon" thread a good read, then determine the "right" answer with extensive testing.
divingin

Post by divingin »

Don't feel too bad. My new Toz-35M was unable to get the rear sight low enough for either a 25 or 50 yd zero. Had to shim the front sight insert with a double layer of brass material to get it there.
trboat

Post by trboat »

divingin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 pm Don't feel too bad. My new Toz-35M was unable to get the rear sight low enough for either a 25 or 50 yd zero. Had to shim the front sight insert with a double layer of brass material to get it there.
The sights on this thing are a bloody fight.

Not complaining but why is the build so much lower quality than my Izzy 46m?

The index pins and or plates are soft so are galling.
I can see the last guy fought with them as the tub shows signs of having seen some pliers and first time I worked on the gun a sight index pin was rattling around in the gun and fell out on my desk.

“What the bloody hell is this”.....

Grrr....

Well the thing does shoots and the trigger sets up fine so the heart of the matter is there but bloody hell- I can make a better sight in the shop and just may but will probably just soften the radius on the pin points, chamfer the plates , harden the parts And clip the springs a bit shorter.

And that’s just the rear...
Thankfully it is so bloody hard to shoot free pistol that such concerns fall away whilst standing on toe to line but....
Bloody hell......
A gentleman’s arm should do the work and provide some joy in ownership not inspire us to beat the thing to bits with a hammer..

It’s some not so subtle plot to disarm us I’m telling you.
Bloody hell...
Rover

Post by Rover »

After a little reminiscing, I recalled fixing an air rifle with a bad "zero" problem.

I just bent the barrel by smacking it on a carpeted floor. It only took one whack.

It all depends on how you hold your mouth.
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

Go to Pilkington. They have the procedure in simple enough to understand.

The lever should not be loose. That means the the gun is cocked and ready to fire keeping pressure on the spring.

It may take a bit of practice to get it right. Get a dummy round and put it in the chamber so you don't muck the firing pin up. It took me a bit to understand the nuances of this gun. The Russian to English translations are no help.

Some of the people on BULLSEYE FORUM-L can be a very real assistance. They assisted me. I really like the gun.

I just sold my spare but made sure the lever was full back and tight. I did not let the FFL here touch it since they had no idea. Maybe your FFL pushed the lever all the way forward to make sure it was unloaded not knowing there are two forward positions the lever can go to, one to open the breech and the 2nd to cock the gun to fire. Once that's done the lever is pulled all the way back to the locked position. Once unlocked it will flop about indicating a ready to fire weapon.

Does this help?

RT
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

Regarding the rear sight. I was informed by a FS shooter that many TOZ-35Ms rear sights need a bit of assistance to get the sight lower for a 6PM shot. I wedged a bit of an old credit card cut to fit and that lowered it to the point needed. Some others put a washer in to lower the sight. It drove me nuts for a while. Screw the sight all the way down. Then carefully push on it and you should see and feel a bit of space and give. That gets the CC piece wedged it there. Cut to fit and try it, it works.
trboat

Post by trboat »

ArTee wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:25 pm Go to Pilkington. They have the procedure in simple enough to understand.

The lever should not be loose. That means the the gun is cocked and ready to fire keeping pressure on the spring.

It may take a bit of practice to get it right. Get a dummy round and put it in the chamber so you don't muck the firing pin up. It took me a bit to understand the nuances of this gun. The Russian to English translations are no help.

Some of the people on BULLSEYE FORUM-L can be a very real assistance. They assisted me. I really like the gun.

I just sold my spare but made sure the lever was full back and tight. I did not let the FFL here touch it since they had no idea. Maybe your FFL pushed the lever all the way forward to make sure it was unloaded not knowing there are two forward positions the lever can go to, one to open the breech and the 2nd to cock the gun to fire. Once that's done the lever is pulled all the way back to the locked position. Once unlocked it will flop about indicating a ready to fire weapon.

Does this help?

RT
That helps.
In the end what I had done was simply to tear the gun right down.
Mine had been in storage in a foam lined case and was dry as a bone and left cocked (I am betting the FFL was messing with it and cocked the gun..)
I am happy to have taken the gun apart as now I am well versed in how the mechanism works.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I never leave the chamber empty when I store it.
Every time I shoot any of my free pistols, My last shot is pulling the trigger on a yellow drywall anchor.
These are perfect soft dry fire protectors for smallbore guns. There use is harmless to the action.
This lets me store the gun in a known discharged safe condition