PCP AP

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mike Backman

PCP AP

Post by Mike Backman »

I am considering buying a AP to replace my 46M. The 46 is a great gun for the price but I'd like to move to the next level. Any suggestions on a PCP AP in the $750 to $1,200 range? What would be the best value?
mback-at-willmar.com.46513.0
Craig E.

Re: PCP AP

Post by Craig E. »

: I am considering buying a AP to replace my 46M. The 46 is a great gun for the price but I'd like to move to the next level. Any suggestions on a PCP AP in the $750 to $1,200 range? What would be the best value?
Hi Mike.
With that sort of budget, all sorts of possibilities open up. A suggestion for you might be to look into something used (perhaps from our host or other good dealers). These pistols generally have been both well cared for and re-sealed etc. before they go for sale. Unless you have a chance to actually try the myriad choices out there prior to purchase, the selection you are hunting for will have as many opinions and advocates as there are folks on this board. Some of the CO2 pistols out there are a true bargain and shoot as well as their newer counterparts. If you find one of them suits you particularly well, then you can step up to the "new" level with some confidence. It is also generally true that the market in used pistols is very stable (i.e. you can almost always sell a good used pistol for a break-even amount if it doesn't meet your expectations). I am relatively new in returning to this sport and my experience so far mimics yours. I have "exchanged" pistols a couple of times without any financial setback and am now quite happy with a Steyr LP1 CO2 that had a former life with a shooter on a national team. I may covet a new AP from time to time, but the pistol will out perform me for a long while. I know the pistol was capable of hitting 580 because the shooter could. I know right now that the pistol is capable of shooting in the 540's because that's about where this shooter can perform. I started out with an IZH 46 and still have some of my best targets with it. No matter what the new/used pistol exchange will be, it takes a bit of time to get accustomed to it and likely your scores will drop for a while no matter how much money you spend. FWIW. Craig
alance2002-at-yahoo.com.46525.46513
Akshay

Post by Akshay »

I have been shooting air-pistol for the last year and a half and have owned a Wlather LP300 and presently own a Morini 162EI, I personally feel the the MOrini is far superior than the Walther,especially where the trigger is concerned, the Morini has a fabulous trigger. Another option would be the Steyr LP10 which has absolutely no recoil(this is what I have heard), Steyr has a very good overall package.
Morini and Steyr have the best relibility while some people have experienced problems with the Walther LP300.
Your best bet would be to try out every pistol and buy the one that suits you best.
Akshay.
akshaydashrath-at-yahoo.co.in.46531.46513
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

: I am considering buying a AP to replace my 46M. The 46 is a great gun for the price but I'd like to move to the next level. Any suggestions on a PCP AP in the $750 to $1,200 range? What would be the best value?
If you like the concept of a SSP. and want to move up, there is the FWB 103. I have owned a IZH (not the M version), and wanted to own the best of the SSP pistols. I was not and am still not dissapointed with the FWB 103. I have yet to speak to anyone that was dissapointed with the accuracy and performance of the 103. Most folks that trade them seem to be those that choose not to pump for each shot.
I would like to nominate the Anschutz Lp@ as the best of the PCP pistols. A product of the joining of Styer and Anschutz, the pistol is kind of a LP-10 with adjustable weights on a bar under the air cylinder. The @ has all the adjustments of any of the top pistols, and more than most. I think of the @ as kind of a "no excuse to loose" pistol.
And for that reason and because I want to try all the air pistols because I enjoy them, I am considering trading the LP@ for a LP-5. I trade with Pilkington Competition, and at this time and for the last few years have not even considered some of the other dealers and individuals selling 10 m equipment. Advise from Warren and Scott is always correct for my application.
Discaimer:
I do not now nor have I ever worked for or received any monetary consideration for my comments about Pilkington Competition, it's owners, or employees. I did however get a T shirt as a guift once and have fed the Pilkington clan one meal of smoked turkey, and only one.
Respectfully,
Bubba
DanielHankiins-at-wmconnect.com.46533.46513
Michael

Post by Michael »

I started with a Daisy 777 and moved up to a CO2 powered FWB model 2 and shot it for years. My personal best is still with that gun. When I decided to go with a PCP gun, I narrowed my search to a Steyr LP10, Steyr-Anshutz LP@ or Morini 162EI. I tried the Steyr and Morini and decided that I liked the electric trigger on the Morini the best. I also decided to get the short model. I am a happy camper. There was no adjustment period for me. I started shooting 10-15 points higher on average over a 60 shot course. If adjustability of grips and recoiless operation are more important than the trigger then the Steyr will be the one for you. I don't think that you can go wrong with either.
I am considering buying a AP to replace my 46M. The 46 is a great gun for the price but I'd like to move to the next level. Any suggestions on a PCP AP in the $750 to $1,200 range? What would be the best value?

Joe G.

Post by Joe G. »

Mike, you've gotten a lot of good advice from all the other posters. Do you have any 10 meter shooting or competitions in your area? If you could get to some matches and check out some of the guns there and maybe even try a few it would be a great help to your making a choice. I have found that most shooters are more than happy to let someone give their gun a try. At the range you mention there are many very excellent choices but it still usually boils down to individual tastes and feel. Right now I find my SAM K11 to be my most comfortable gun but can shoot equal scores with my Steyr LP-1 or FWB 103 which I both like very much. I am also very fond of a recently acquired Morini 162E. I also have an IZH-46 which had been my main shooter for a couple of years. It took me a little while as Craig mentions to consistently beat it's scores when I upgraded to the Steyr. In the meantime the tightest 5 shot group I ever shot was done with my Walther LP3 Match, a single stroke pneumatic from the early 70's. Good luck and have fun, Joe G.
JosephJFG-at-aol.com.46543.46513
Mike Backman

Post by Mike Backman »

A big THANK YOU to everyone who posted in reponse to my question. I have printed all the postings and will refer to them when I ready to upgrade my AP.

mback-at-willmar.com.46563.46513