Trouble with Diana .22 and .177 Scope Use

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gkenny

Trouble with Diana .22 and .177 Scope Use

Post by gkenny »

Hi, i have two RWS Diana air rifles in both calibers, .22, side pump, and .177, break open.

After the guns are scoped and sighted in at about 40 yards, and
I go back to the same target, pellet, and distance, the pellets are either 5 inches or 5 inches low from where they were hitting a few days earlier. This is from the same rest, to the same target, with the same gun and pellet.

What is happening? The guns have-not been dropped or even bumped, the scope seems very tight, the scopes used are supposed to be good for this kind of pumper with the forward and back action against the scope.

Have you ever had a similar experience?

Thank you for any help, because it is VERY frustrating!

Regards, gkenny.
ywaltzucanrknrl

Re: Trouble with Diana .22 and .177 Scope Use

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Yes, I've had this issue with an R1. There are probably many issues that can cause it. My issues were with scopes, mounts and rings. If you are shooting the higher powered Diana's you might be having the same issue. Even if you believe you have a good scope it would pay to try another good one (spring air rifle rated) to rule out the scope. Most bases have a pin stop to secure them, if yours don't you might try one that does. Good rings are very important also. If the scope or base slides back and forth at all it will cause high or low shots.
It also could be inconsistent placement of the air rifle on the rest or the rifle may have a mechanical issue with springs, seals, action screws....---but it would be odd both are doing it---unless they have sat for many years and you just started using them.
You might state which models you are using, as some are more prone to this type of issue.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

You have to provide us with more info to diagnose your problem. I presume you have a RWS/Diana 48/52 and a 34. Were the rifles shooting accurately before with a particular pellet and just recently they are shooting low? Are the groups at 40 yards tight or are they all over the place? Diana air rifles are known to have barrel droop and they need drooper rails/mounts to compensate this issue.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'll go with a scope problem, but I've seen really poor performance with some pellets.