Trainning AP 10m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ramms123

Trainning AP 10m

Post by Ramms123 »

Hello everyone, is it normal for your performance to get worse the more you train?
On my case, if i train 5 times a week my results get worse and worse, but if I only train once a week the results are much better (live shooting 30/40 shots per session).
Does anyone else had this situation/problem?

Thanks.
Gwhite

Re: Trainning AP 10m

Post by Gwhite »

It sounds like you are reinforcing and/or developing some bad habits. Putting pellets down range is not "training". You need to figure out what is not going right and work on drills to correct those issues. It may just be that your muscles, brain and/or eyes are getting tired from all the shooting, or doing it almost daily is getting tedious and you are losing mental focus. It's much easier to concentrate on what you doing if you come into it with the frame of mind that "I'm only going to get to shoot twice this week, so I'm going to make the most of it."

You can learn an enormous amount by examining your targets. If all your bad shots are in the same direction, then you should be able to identify the problem easily & work on correcting it. See: http://users.rcn.com/gwhite/DIAGNOSE.PDF

Analyze every shot. If it was a good shot, think about how that happened. What did the sights look like? How firm was your grip? How long did you hold? How fast did you squeeze the trigger? Try to mentally go over all the little details so you learn what a good shot looks like and feels like. You want to reinforce the complete experience of shooting a 10. Eventually, you will learn to abort the shot is it doesn't look or feel right.

Contrary to that, you do NOT want to reinforce bad shots by dwelling on them. Quickly think about what corrective action would have prevented it, and move on. Always think in terms of positive corrections, i.e. "squeeze the trigger", as opposed to "don't jerk the trigger". "Negatives" are an abstraction. The brain will respond better to a positive thinking process.

If you can't call your shots, you should work on that as well. If you shoot a 3:00 eight, but you called it there, that may just be wobble. If you have no idea where the shots are going, you aren't watching your sights.
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Thanks for your post GWhite.

But f.e. at the beginning of the week, i shoot 380/400, then, on tuesday 365, wednesday 350, and so on....

If i train only one time per week ou two, the scores are 385, or 380....

For me its a little strange...
william

Post by william »

Please re-read the first reply. If what you say is accurate, what you're doing is not training in the way we generally understand it. Perhaps review some previous threads which explore the difference between training (a good thing) and practice (not so much).
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Thanks for your post William. What is your understanding between training and practice?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Practice is shooting a course of fire (40 or 60 shots) just as if it is a match, with focus on the total score.

Training is shooting individual shots with a singular focus (sight alignment OR trigger control OR follow thru OR calling the shot), with tracking the result of each shot. Eventually these items become "automatic" as you develop each of them individually, and you focus on "just shooting".

Training is to improve the shot process, practice is to improve the mental process (by putting stress on yourself, like maybe a bet with your wife on who does the dishes).
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Thanks Pat for your post.
Do you know where i can find some bibliography on training methods, or some exercises i can do?
Th.

Post by Th. »

Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Ramms123 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:14 pm Thanks for your post GWhite.

But f.e. at the beginning of the week, i shoot 380/400, then, on tuesday 365, wednesday 350, and so on....

You must be doing something different on subsequent practice sessions. Maybe it's a psychological thing?
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Thanks Th.
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Ade C wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 am

You must be doing something different on subsequent practice sessions. Maybe it's a psychological thing?
Psychological how? can you explain your idea to me?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just as a general thing:

If you find yourself getting deeper in a hole....stop digging.

More training, less practice. Lots of dry fire. Don't spend too long getting everything "just so"; you won't.
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Rover wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:51 am Just as a general thing:

More training, less practice. Lots of dry fire. Don't spend too long getting everything "just so"; you won't.
Thanks for the reply Rover.
Are there other exercises besides dry fire?
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Ramms123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:41 am
Ade C wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 am

Psychological how? can you explain your idea to me?
You may be thinking about the problem of scores going down in each session. This will inevitably mean that they do. Try only to think about the shot you are taking and nothing else. If you can hit the 10 ring once then in theory you can hit it every time. It's mostly the mind which stops us.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Hi Ramms123

If you want to have choaching and/or be part of a shooting school, feel free to PM me.

Best regards
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ramms123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 am

You could do some physical training such as 1/2 liter curls with Sagres. You can PM RMCA to further advise on this matter.

You could also follow this training regime that I posted earlier.

https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62363
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

No, Rover, NO! Not "Prancercize" - the forbidden training routine. Heard it attracts Vulcan Cannon firing solutions . . . .
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover...

Ramms123 being from Sesimbra doesn't need any coaching with that...
He's probably been drinking it with some of the finest and freshest fish and sea food you can find in here!

;)
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

rmca wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:04 pm Hi Ramms123

If you want to have choaching and/or be part of a shooting school, feel free to PM me.

Best regards
Thanks Rui Antunes.
Ramms123

Post by Ramms123 »

Rover wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:10 pm
Ramms123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 am

You could do some physical training such as 1/2 liter curls with Sagres. You can PM RMCA to further advise on this matter.

You could also follow this training regime that I posted earlier.

https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62363
Lol :)