Has anyone owned or used the STERY FP?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Christopher

Has anyone owned or used the STERY FP?

Post by Christopher »

Just wondering...I don't hear of this make/mod very often, and believe that's it's discontinued.
Has anyone acutally owned/used one before, and what was it like...say, as compared to using a Hammerli 160 or FP10?
eccletic251266-at-yahoo.co.uk.46441.0
Paul Benneche

Re: Has anyone owned or used the STERY FP?

Post by Paul Benneche »

I own a Steyr FP. It was used by John Bickar when he was a collegiate shooter and he set the collegiate 50ft record at 555/600 with it. The best word that I can think of to describe the pistol is "bulky". If you have ever held one of the eary Walther FPs with the electric trigger or a Russian HU1, it has the same sort of feel. The trigger and action are fine. The "comp" ports on the end of the barrel need to be de-leaded occasionally. Overall, I would give it an average rating.
peb-at-virginia.edu.46451.46441
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Thanks Paul! I was just wondering if the barrel being so low does have any perceptable advantages as compared to other FPs, but I guess that's a moot point as no one here shoots Stery FPs. We only have Hammerlis. Cheers and Happy Holidays!
bruce

Post by bruce »

I used one once, was glad to give it back! The action is finicky and you can drop a shell inside it and it is hard to get out. The trigger was poor. I would say it was a clunker.
Paul T (UK)

Post by Paul T (UK) »

I had a Steyr FP between 8 and 6 years ago. I took compensation (UK legislation rather than export).
The main advantage is grip adjustment as this is very similar to the air pistol.
Loading is different but after 200 rounds or so, is not an issue and the action is positive.
The trigger is quite poor, and the overall build quality was not convincing.
I understand Steyr no longer make these units and sales have been very low overall.
It was easy to shoot if you shot a Steyr air pistol as the grips were nearly interchangeable and indoor training was again benefited in this way.
Off topic, the unit was used by the dealer for a day filming in a science fiction film so the pistol it did have its 5 minutes of fame, albeit not at a world championship!