Quiet wrist strenghtener?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Avianna

Quiet wrist strenghtener?

Post by Avianna »

I know there are those spinning gyro ball things you twirl at a high speed with your wrist to strenghten them, but they aren't exactly quiet. So I am wondering, are there similar things that are quiet enough to use at work? say, while you are waiting for your computer to do something else?
Thanks!

trinity-at-candesign.com.46397.0
Barry Markowitz

"Gravity Grip" at the Sports Authority

Post by Barry Markowitz »

The "Gravity Grip" is a a soft compressable ball that is absolutely quiet and comes in different sizes. Its great for isometric grip strengthening exercises. I sent Warren at Pilkington one a year ago. Get his opinion. If you can't find one in Canada and still want one, I will mail you one from Hawaii. I think they were only $6 USD.

newsphotohi-at-hawaii.rr.com.46398.46397
Bob Riegl

Take Care with the Wrist

Post by Bob Riegl »

Watch what you do in attempt to strengthen the wrists. The tendency is to overdo this and you end with a case of tendenitis ("tennis elbow")that will alsmost shut down your shooting career. Concentrate your exercises to strengthen the Lats and deltoids---these do more to support the pistol than the wrist alone. Additionally your shooting stance has a tremendous influence on your shooting, work to perfect this. Try reading "Competitive Shooting" by A.A. Yur' Yev---available from the NRA store. This is not a new book, but one that shows an outstanding Russian physiological study of Rifle and Pistol shooting, with primary emphasis on kinesiology.
RML

Re: Take Care with the Wrist

Post by RML »

A reason for tendenitis, is the static muscle work when holding a pistol. To avoid such problems, exercises for all muscle groups involved in holding the pistol is important, but off course without overdoing it.
It is also important to warm up before a training session, and stretch all involved muscles after the session. But how many off us is doing that?? :-(
gmsych

Re: Quiet wrist strenghtener?

Post by gmsych »

Hey Avi, lots of good advices, here is mine: unless you have a specific problem/injury that you're trying to work around, you don't need dynamic wrist exercises for shooting. Since you do basic forearm stretches (I saw it), a tennis ball will work well since it doesn't compress much, just watch for any funny elbow sensation. Don't use 100% force on the grip (3/4 of max is sufficient), don't hold over say 3 secs, don't use high rep's, keep elbow extended and you'll be fine.

: I know there are those spinning gyro ball things you twirl at a high speed with your wrist to strenghten them, but they aren't exactly quiet. So I am wondering, are there similar things that are quiet enough to use at work? say, while you are waiting for your computer to do something else?
: Thanks!

gmsych-at-hotmail.com.46403.46397
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Check your local bowling alley. They used to have a small plastic device that clamped a piece of leather between two plastic plates. You turned the handles to strengthen the forearms and wrist. The tension could be set from very light to very heavy. Completely silent in use (at least to these old, injured ears).

patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.46449.46397
Avianna

wrist issues, was Re: Quiet wrist strenghtener?

Post by Avianna »

Hey Greg,
Well, I seem to encounter two wrist problems when it comes to shooting, 1) wrist pain, and 2) wrist strength in late portions of matches.
Last year near the end of the season, I was experiencing quite a bit of wrist pain after long precision matches or training sessions. The pain seem to be located at the top of the wrist (if the wrist was oriented the way you hold a pistol). I also would notice at late stages of a match, I'd have more trouble keeping the front sights up.
I also think perhaps a source of my wrist pain is because I shot cross eye dominant, so my wrist is not in a normal straight out position when I am holding a pistol. Also, because of this, the recoil of the pistol does not come straight back, rather, it comes back at an angle and puts more stress on my wrist.
So anyway, with these problems, I think I need to strength my wrist, or else, do something more drastic like switch eyes or switch hands. I don't I can switch eyes since my right eye is really quite poor at edge/contrast detection (the front sight doesn't even seem orthogonal to my right eye). Switching hands is possible, but that's going to be even tougher. So I think wrist strenghtening is the easiest thing to do, and that's what I am trying :-)
Avianna
: Hey Avi, lots of good advices, here is mine: unless you have a specific problem/injury that you're trying to work around, you don't need dynamic wrist exercises for shooting. Since you do basic forearm stretches (I saw it), a tennis ball will work well since it doesn't compress much, just watch for any funny elbow sensation. Don't use 100% force on the grip (3/4 of max is sufficient), don't hold over say 3 secs, don't use high rep's, keep elbow extended and you'll be fine.
:
: : I know there are those spinning gyro ball things you twirl at a high speed with your wrist to strenghten them, but they aren't exactly quiet. So I am wondering, are there similar things that are quiet enough to use at work? say, while you are waiting for your computer to do something else?
: : Thanks!

trinity-at-candesign.com.46456.46403
Mack

Post by Mack »

No one has mentioned this option, so I will and I really hate to. You are a young women and you are going to have to live with your wrist for a long time. Is it an option to just shoot AP? It may come down to that. Your choice maybe just shot AP and shot a long time or shot them all and then not be able to shoot anything later.
Something to think about even if it is unpleasant.
Hope it all works out for you.

Alexey

Post by Alexey »

So I am wondering, are there similar things that are quiet enough to use at work? say, while you are waiting for your computer to do something else?
Dear Avianna,
I use a rubber ring. It's tough enough to be squeezed no more then 20 times on end at the beginning. Now after six months of exercise I can squeeze it about 45 times on end. It really increases the volume of the muscles while keeping them relaxed and flexible and exercises primarily the ring and middle fingers which actually do the job. The only drawback are calluses, which take a bit of stamina to develop. When fully built, they are not very prominent, much less ugly :).
BTW, is your grip adjustable? If so you can increase the rake.
Best regards, Alexey
alexey931-at-list.ru.46613.46397