cable lock for .22lr?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

PJinHawaii

cable lock for .22lr?

Post by PJinHawaii »

I'm having a problem finding a cable lock that works well with my new Pardini SP .22LR The small chamber makes it difficult to pass the lug on the end of many cable locks through to the magazine frame.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular cable lock that works well with these small caliber pistols?
PJ
DLW

Re: cable lock for .22lr?

Post by DLW »

I don't know about a cable lock, mine stays safely locked in my safe when I am not shooting standard pistol. If you have not invested in a good safe, you might concider just buying a master lock or something and locking the plastic case it came in shut. this would be just as effective a deterent against curious hands as a cable lock if that as your concern.
have fun with it, but remember, you did not buy a plinker or a hobby gun. the sp has only one purpose, to accuratly push lead downrange into a paper target.

:
: I'm having a problem finding a cable lock that works well with my new Pardini SP .22LR The small chamber makes it difficult to pass the lug on the end of many cable locks through to the magazine frame.
: Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular cable lock that works well with these small caliber pistols?
: PJ

westberg-at-comcast.net.46323.46316
Patrick Haynes

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Hi PJ.
I tried several different cable locks (Master, Remington, Browning) with no luck for the Pardini. We ended up using a trigger lock with an extra long shank. It was rubberised so we didn't worry about it scratching the finish.
We're in Canada and that is the law during transportation.
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.46329.46316
Questor

Try e-mailing Don Nygord

Post by Questor »

Maybe he has a specific recommendation. www.nygord-precision.com
Wee Hooker

Post by Wee Hooker »

: Two other options.
First, Your Pardini should come in a lockable plastic case. if it doesn't get one. ( Any locable case) They are only $10-$30 depending on material. A combo lock helps allot for this application.
Two, if your realy stuck, Run a heavy duty wire tie through the action. Use wire cutters to to remove when required. Alocal gun shop uses this one but it's less convienient.
: I'm having a problem finding a cable lock that works well with my new Pardini SP .22LR The small chamber makes it difficult to pass the lug on the end of many cable locks through to the magazine frame.
: Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular cable lock that works well with these small caliber pistols?

Sandy Santibanez

Post by Sandy Santibanez »

Frankly, I would NOT put anything down the barrel of a match pistol other than a cleaning patch. Use a trigger lock, a locked gun case or some other method to secure it. If nothing else, remove the slide, barrel, trigger or whatever to render the pistol inoperable so as to comply with the laws in your jurisdiction.
Sandy

tenx-at-san.rr.com.46352.46316
PJinHawaii

Post by PJinHawaii »

Some clarification...
First, I have no intention of putting the cable down the barrel, it would go from the chamber down the magazine slot.
Second, yes, I do have a gun safe at home, and use it, but I still like to have the weapons locked during transit to/from the range. That would be my preference regardless of whether it is a plinking pistol or a match pistol.
Locking the plastic case is not as secure as locking the pistol itself, and thus I prefer to lock the pistol.
And finally, yes, a trigger lock is certainly an option that I am considering, I just wanted to see what the options were regarding cable locks.
Thanks for the comments.
PJ

:

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

:
PJ, have you seen the cable lock that captures only one end of the cable? The other end of the cable has a brass cap that is swaged onto the cable. This cap has the dimensions of a .22 lr case, complete with rim. The rim portion is at the very end of the cable. The first end of the cable, the part that fits into the lock, is also of brass and it, too, is swaged to the cable. The diameter of this locking end is small enough to pass through a .22 barrel. The cable is small gauge wire rope covered with a protective plastic sheath - just like the more common cable locks that retain both ends of the cable.
To use this type of cable lock, the lock is first removed from the cable. Then the locking end of the cable is passed through the barrel from the chamber end towards the muzzle until the rim at the other end of the cable comes to rest against the chamber. The lock is then attached to the end that protrudes from the muzzle. Thus fitted, this type of cable lock prevents a round from being inserted into the chamber of the gun.
Some will be horrified to think of passing the brass fitting on the locking end of the cable through the barrel, but I counter that the brass is much softer than the steel of the barrel and is not as bad, even, as passing a bronze cleaning brush through the bore.
I use this type of cable lock on my Morini free pistol and on my FAS SP 607 standard pistol, neither of which will accept the common Master trigger lock or the more common cable lock that locks both ends of the cable. The locks are available in both key style and in combination style - some with different length cables, too. You will not find them in every gun shop, but look around, they are out there.
Mike T.

fmtaylor-at-telus.net.46384.46316