For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
stephen_maly

Re: For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

Post by stephen_maly »

As I understand it, the best shots (not shooters) were usually released between 4 and 7 seconds into the aim. If the aiming period is too long, rather than risk a bad shot, the shooter lowers the gun and starts the following process all over again. It takes about 48 seconds for most shooters to completely recover (if you are in good shape) from the effort expended for one shot to be ready for the next one. Of course, there are many who shoot in less time. When it is important to shoot at your best, you take the necessary steps to give yourself the best chances. So, lets say 7 seconds for a shoot plus 48 seconds to recover, and a moment to load. That is where the bulk of 75 minutes are used up. A shooter might stop for a rest for some reason, or to re-focus.
In earlier times, the aiming period and shooting period were one in the same. Also, shooters operated their own target retrieval systems. Today, many important matches are scored electronically, so significantly less time is required to complete 60 shots.
Nowadays you ought to train for a "finals" match also. That didn't exist in the old days.
David Levene

Re: For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

Post by David Levene »

It's worth remembering that the time for the 60 shots is increased to 90 minutes if you are not using electronic scoring targets.

If you haven't got any form of target changing mechanism, and have to "walk down", then you must rely on local timing rules as ISSF timing rules won't apply.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're a demented old poop who is "circling the drain", the great thing about the shooting sports is that you have an actual numerical record documenting your decline being posted for all to see.

You may just receive commiseration and free beer.
samg

Post by samg »

You can answer that question yourself by shooting nothing less then a 9 for sixty consecutive shots. Take longer it’s OK.
David M

Post by David M »

Working on single shot times I find a bit restrictive.
For me I use a Ahead or Behind timetable just to keep tabs on the time.
75 min is 12.5 min per 10 shot series.
I allow 12 min for 10 shots and 3 min up my sleeve in the end.
So if after 20 shots, 21 min has gone I am 3min's ahead. If at 40 shots its 52 min's
I am 4 min behind and must speed up a little.
If at 55 shots and 9 mins remaining I am on pace with a little to spare just in case.
If I am feeling good I may take 55-60 min, feeling poorly I may use all the time in breaks.
The timetable lets me know how I am going, so I don't end up with 10 min and 15 shots....
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

. . . . and if you're feeling BOLD . . .

Send the first 59 shots in whatever timeframe.

Save that last shot #60 with exactly 50 seconds to go. High-pressure shot! Replicates the timing on the elimination shots during the finals.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

stephen_maly wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 am Nowadays you ought to train for a "finals" match also. That didn't exist in the old days.
Yup. This is one of the biggest differences between the cartridge and muzzle-loading disciplines. Black powder shooters have ten, perhaps thirteen shots...even at a World Championship level, those thirteen rounds (which include convertible sighters) are what stand between being World Champion or a chump. Which dials the pressure up a couple of notches.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

@40xguy

Besides strength and endurance.
At a certain point, you may have to switch to a lighter pistol.

As an injured senior citizen, I had to do that with my cameras, and switch from Nikon to Olympus m4/3, to reduce the carry weight of my kit.
It was reduce the weight or stop shooting.

Also the supported rest shooting is a good idea, if the clubs in your area do it.
I'm doing that with photography and using a monopod, for the heavy gear and long shoots.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I posted this in the Shooters Lounge, but I want to make sure 40xguy (and others) see this "getting into shape."

https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62363
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

No worries about time as I plan to spend my extra time getting serious by poking random barn side holes in Rover's targets. It should be about fifteen minutes of fun so I have enough for my own targets.

Clint shooting in C'dA where Rover has joined the den.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Clintw wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:28 pm No worries about time as I plan to spend my extra time getting serious by poking random barn side holes in Rover's targets. It should be about fifteen minutes of fun so I have enough for my own targets.

Clint shooting in C'dA where Rover has joined the den.
How will I know whether they're your shots or mine?

Anyway, we're trying to fire up a Tues. nite AP league for the CDARPC members, 'cause I need the practice.