Toz 35 vs. Morini grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kboj

Toz 35 vs. Morini grip

Post by kboj »

Hi folks.

Just bought myself a second hand Morini grip to replace an original grip i bad shape.

but the fit of the Morini grip is far from perfect, actually the pistol won´t fire, when fitted.

Found out after loosing my hair, that there is not enough room for the cocking lever to move all the way forward, which means that the firing pin is not held in cocked position. The cocking lever hits the wood on the left hand side of the grip, could easily be removed, but one of the fixing bolts goes through very close to the edge.

What do you think......remove material on the cocking lever? Any other good ideas will be highly appreciated.

regards,

Keld, Denmark
rmca

Re: Toz 35 vs. Morini grip

Post by rmca »

See where cocking lever binds, and remove some wood there.
One or two milimeters should be enough.
Most grips need to have some modification in order to fit.

Hope this helps
kboj

Post by kboj »

Wow, that's a fast reply;o)

That's also my first thought, but... If I remove the wood the lever will hit the screw instead. Could probably remove some material on the lever without weakening it too much?

Also wondering if the problem is in the upper part of the lever, meaning if the contact points on the lever and the firing pin could be worn, forcing an extended travel to cock the firing pin.

Any wise thoughts?
rmca

Post by rmca »

The Morini grip is a two part grip.
Screw only one of the sides and have a look.
You'll probably need to remove less wood than you think.

I would not remove any metal from the cocking lever.
I would rather have it intact even if it's hiting the screw.

Hope this helps
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Difficult to answer without pics ...
Trying with one part only fitted seems to be a good idea, as rmca suggested it, to see where it touches the wood.
Then remove excess with a small chisel or file.

Or maybe after trying to cock the pistol a few times you will see where exactly the grip is marked.

Pay attention to the length of the attachment screws, too.
Sometimes, with another grip than the original, which might be thinner, the screws go too far through their holes, and they disturb the lever travel.
spektr

Post by spektr »

My Morini grips were not inletted deep enough and when I snugged the screws up the gun wouldn't cock.
Interestingly enough, the fix was tape on the frame to add depth to the inletting by moving the grips contact surface outboard. many directions to approach it.......
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

TOZ35 is a very well balanced pistol. In 90% of cases, the adjustment will be counterproductive. The biggest enemy of the pistol is a file in the shooter's hand. The principle should be that iron is not fundamentally affected.
samg

Post by samg »

It is always best to modify the part. If you screw up the part so be it. If you screw up the gun, well there you are. Plus the modification to the gun will most likely sink the resale value of your pistol to zero. Good luck
kboj

Post by kboj »

I finally got time to solve the problem

With a chisel? I removed a little bit of wood including half the hole. Afterwards the grip still needed some fiddling to get all the screws in place.

Not a big deal after all, but must admit that I`m not impressed with the quality and fit. Of course I can´t tell, who is to blame....the grip or the frame.

regards,

Keld
spektr

Post by spektr »

Keld....

The TOZ35 is a low production volume pistol. There is significant variation dimensionally in the frames. They are not interchangable. The morini grips are absolutely on the numbers grip to grip..... It is the gun... understanding that, the TOZ barrels and triggers are jewelry and where the gun needs to be flawlessly machines, it is..... Where it doesnt need to be closely machined, it definitely isnt
divingin

Post by divingin »

kboj wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:03 am Not a big deal after all, but must admit that I`m not impressed with the quality and fit. Of course I can´t tell, who is to blame....the grip or the frame.
I was given a pre-carved factory grip by a friend who decided to go with some kind of aftermarket grip. That was handy, as my "spare parts" Toz came with uncarved block grips. It wouldn't fit.

No problem, I'll put the original on my shooter gun and move the Morini on there to the spare gun. Original grip didn't fit the old gun, either. Morini also didn't fit the spare gun.

Eventually (after way too long with a chisel, files, and sandpaper) got the original grip on the old gun (which has been relegated to the safe), and the Morini on the new Toz.

Spektr has it right - they're not consistent.