1st PCP: LG400 or FWB800X

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hillsidehutz

1st PCP: LG400 or FWB800X

Post by hillsidehutz »

Any advice appreciated; will be shooting ISSF target relative at various distances.

Great things I hear about:

LG400- loading gate, center of gravity slightly to the back, lighter than fwb, better trigger than anschutz and fwb. Personally I like the look.

FWB800x- that intensely adjustable everything-ness of it. I just know that it will fit so very well. But it looks extra dorky and brand-y.

Bad things I hear about:

LG400- nothing yet.

FWB800- mechanical failure often happens, but I don't know how this rate of failure compares in relative use to other brands.

Any confirmation or contradiction to the above qualities?

Thank you in advance!
JC Hayes

Re: 1st PCP: LG400 or FWB800X

Post by JC Hayes »

Looks like LG400.
I have one and it is superb.
Another plus is the LG400 cylinder will hold up to 300 bar
hillsidehutz

Post by hillsidehutz »

JC Hayes wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:47 am Looks like LG400.
I have one and it is superb.
Another plus is the LG400 cylinder will hold up to 300 bar
Thank you!

Which LG400 model are you shooting? Besides the stock material, sights and level of adjustability, what are the major differences between; universal, alutec economy, alutec expert, alum competition, anatomic expert?

Also, at the end of the day - is there diminishing return to extra stock adjustability and features when it comes to score on paper?
(i.e LG400 universal vs alutec economy vs anatomic expert)
spektr

Post by spektr »

I own an 800x and shoot it at least twice a week.
The stock is so much more adjustable than anything else I have shot.
I have not had a failure with it yet. I am unaware of any failure prone issues.
But I live under a rock in the PNW, so maybe I'm out of the loop.
The trigger is wonderfull.
The only knock I have on it is that I needed to add buttweights to make it more comfortable to shoot.
In the end, it really doesn't matter which you choose since both will shoot winning Olympic scores
far in excess of what mere mortals can hold, buy what feels better to you.
For a purchase like this, maybe a cheap flight to Phoenix to test drive all of them at the same time is worth it....

I DID buy the red one because it is less sterile looking
JC Hayes

Post by JC Hayes »

I chose the bench rest model with wooden stock.
The aluminum stocks feels too cold when the temp drops.
See link below to Walther air rifles and see the differences.

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/s ... ifles.html
rualert

Post by rualert »

I too have an 800X and in addition to the adjust-ability of it to get a perfect fit, I too concur with the wonderful trigger. Another plus for me at least is the virtually perfect balance of the rifle on the forestock. I have several ruptured and compressed disks, but I can hold the rifle with a single hand without any discomfort. Not sure who set the trigger on mine I bought it slightly used but it falls around 6oz or less. More accurate than me even form a rest, it will one hole 5-10 rounds at 10M as long ass I do my part.

Casey

P.S. Originally bought for my daughter who shot 4-H precision and Junior class CMP. She was gifted, but got bored after high school.
tryer

Post by tryer »

LG400 in my engineering opinion is more substantial in it's manufactured parts. All machined and chamfered. The solid butt end is what makes the weight balance more rearward. The trigger excels the FWB ( I have both). Palm rest is wide and flat, ok on knuckles. Not a lot of adjustment on height of palm rest without buying extras.
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

The LG400 Monotec is 4.97kg
The LG400 Expert is 4.3kg
The LG400 Alutec is 4.1kg

The 800X is 4.8kg
The 800W is 4.3kg

The 800X and the Monotec are the comparable top of the line offerings from Feinwerkbau and Walther. So the FWB is actually lighter.