Robert Abbott

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Marc Orvin

Robert Abbott

Post by Marc Orvin »

Just saw on FB that Robert Abbott died yesterday. His grandson, Michael, a USA Shooting volunteer for many years in his youth, reported this. I don't know when Robert started volunteering, but it was back in the days when NRA ran the international competitions. I first met him in Chino CA at the National Championships in 1991. His wife, Susan, was CRO at 25 meters. Robert ran the paper target operations. He distributed and gathered the targets to and from all the ranges. Later, he was the 25m pit boss at Ft Benning and Wolf Creek.

Robert also worked the airport detail for the World Cups that were held in the USA. He would meet the foreign athletes and get them and their equipment rounded up and loaded on to buses for the trip to the range and hotels.

He will be missed by those of us who enjoyed his Cajun humor and his dedication to the sport. Prayers for all his family.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Robert Abbott

Post by atomicgale »

WHY WE LOVE OUR VOLUNTEERS!

The Matches are driven by our volunteers. Condolences for Robert Abbott family.

So now I'm gonna harsh on our volunteer "Marc". "Marc" (who doesn't really exist) - disqualified me FOUR TIMES at Winter Air Gun. One, just for general bad attitude. Two, for equipment violations at check-in. Three, for pointing my gun "up" in Colorado Springs, possibly shooting the flickering fluorescent lights out of the ceiling, ruining the whole bad specter of bad light for everyone. And four, literally (and this was a good call) just setting the pistol down for a moment with the bolt closed - instant DQ. Good eyes by the volunteer!

So along comes Camp Perry January 2020. Twelve degrees Fahrenheit max, frozen cabin, wind blowing sideways off the Lake 30 knots, and SERIOUSLY BAD PIZZA delivered, REALLY bad pizza. It's okay, AP shoots indoors . . . . no, they play THE VILLAGE PEOPLE non-stop, all weekend.

This is why we love our volunteers. Ft. Benning Trials, everyone's watching, I communicate to "Marc" (who doesn't exist mind you), "I'm gonna waste a few points shooting the speakers out if you play THE VILLAGE PEOPLE." So, I know I'm NOT going to TOKYO or anywhere else, and along comes "Y.M.C . . . . " And thank the Angels in Heaven and all the Volunteers, the music tract is forwarded to the Rolling Stones "Paint It Black," . . . . keep shooting calmly.

Thank you Marc.

Thank you all volunteers.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Thanks for the kind words. I had to hustle to get to the music machine to kill the YMCA for you.

And thanks for the kind words for all the volunteers. Robert started me on my volunteer track back in 1991 at Chino and has been a mentor to me and my wife and two of my boys over the years as they have worked these matches. My sons were "pit rats" at Ft Benning at 25 meters for a long time, back when you had to replace backers after each series.

I fondly remember all of Robert's Cajun jokes. He had a million of them. Kept us entertained.

Marc
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Bob was a true treasure. I was privileged to know him. Why they squirreled him away with us ne'er-do-wells on the 25m range, I never could figure out, but we sure benefited from his wisdom and good humor.

Godspeed, friend.