AP Raise

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jscot111

AP Raise

Post by jscot111 »

Why do air pistol shooters raise there pistols so high during the lift before aiming? Is there a performance advantage doing so?
Scott
David M

Re: AP Raise

Post by David M »

A lot of shooters at WC's get warnings from RO's and Jury for lifting too high.
The general rule now seem's to be to not lift above the upper target backstop.
No more pointing to the roof.
Enforcement seem's to vary around the world.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Performance advantage? Perhaps.

Physiology based, it is much easier on the three lobes of the deltoid to LOWER the pistol on to target.

Much harder, and more "muscular vibration" to RAISE the heavy pistol on to target.

Reference: A.A. Yur Yev, Chp. 5 "Statics of the Human Body", pages 73-75
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Because it's easier to hold your pistol at the height of the target when you lower your arm, rather than when you raise it and try to maintain it at the right height : gravitation is your friend !

And it allows you to prepare your shot : sight alignement, trigger squeeze, breathing, verification of your placement face to the target ....
Thus, when your pistol arrives at the right height, you jsut have to stabilize, and finalize your shot.
Gort

Post by Gort »

For decades, I never raised above line of sight. Recently I discovered a tangible benefit for me. If I raise enough above the target to be on a plain back- round (not seeing the bullseye), I can lock my visual focus on the sights and keep that focus for the duration of the shot. I also agree that it reduces strain on the anterior and medial deltiod muscles. Have said that, I don't think the exaggerated raise is safe or productive, less is more.
Gort
thessler

Post by thessler »

Hi
I'm still learning the basics, I normally approach from the bottom. After reading this thread I tried lowering, I found it to be easier but when the gun is in the black I can't see the sights.
Can you guys actually line up your sights while in the black ?
I end up lowering the gun lining it up then raising it which is a total waste of time. This may be a result of my not getting the correct sight picture, I have been struggling with that daily as far as vision goes. I have many sets of glasses I have tried and always end up using the eye pal pin hole. I can get my front sight very sharp but the target is always in perfect focus. I have had a new set of glasses made with +.75 on shooting eye they don't help. I'm getting a little off topic but I feel if I could get the target fuzzy I might be able to have lined up sights while moving through the black. Or maybe not.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks, Tom
Rover

Post by Rover »

You don't line up your sights with them in the black. You do it above the black, then slowly drop to a sub-six to shoot.

Are you using the +0.75 lens WITH the pinhole? Try it without the pinhole, or with a larger hole.
If you are nearsighted, the +0.75 won't do much to help you.

You may also wish to consider a wider rear notch sight.

Do you have astigmatism? Have you checked with an eye doc?
Gort

Post by Gort »

Another thing to consider, is the target lighting sufficient? If the target is too dark the sights can be lost passing thru. ISSF rules require 1500 lux minimum, greater than 1800 preferred.
Gort

PS there are free lux meter apps for your smartphone