painting front sights for AP?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

uaetcoj

painting front sights for AP?

Post by uaetcoj »

has anyone ever done or heard of this? what is the purpose?
thanks
uaetcoj
uaetcoj-at-yahoo.com.46049.0
Spencer C

Re: painting front sights for AP?

Post by Spencer C »

Yep! It's been done and might have some application if shooting outdoors...
ISSF 10m Air Pistol (and Rifle) is indoors, or it ain't proper ISSF 10m. The best for AP, both front and rear sights is undoubtedly flat black obtained by using camphor smoke or acetylene smoke, though the commercial sight blackening sprays are probably more convenient.

mako

Post by mako »

If you use a center hold ... you might use a white or yellow front sight ... but it might be better to use one of the translucent fluorescent orange replacement front sights.
Some shooters paint a small white dot below the top middle of their front sight to give them something to concentrate on ...

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.46065.46063
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I do it myself. If you're using a center hold, and especially if you are shooting on an uncovered range, a bright front sight will attract the eye (and attention) to where it should be - on the front sight. It's an old black powder shooter's trick.
FWIW, the normal color is fluorescent orange. Yellow is brighter, but orange fires the rods and cones in the retina better. Try poster paints.

HMSLion-at-aol.com.46083.46049
Michael Douglass

My two cents...

Post by Michael Douglass »

As far as painting your front sight, if it works for you...great. I never did even though I used a center hold for both air and free. The more you concentrate on the front sight, the better. If you have a black sight on a black background, you are forced to concentrate harder on the front sight. It is possible to distinguish the sight from the target if you concentrate. A lot of people think that because you can see the front sight clearly, that means you are concentrating on it. That's false. Seeing the front sight is necessary...concentrating on it is the next step.
My finding was that the center hold with a black front sight forced me to do what was necessary for good shot execution.
As far as the dot being painted on the front sight. Now you are concentrating on a dot, not the front sight. I found concentrating on the front sight as a whole was more effective than concentrating on a "part" i.e. corner, dot, scratch, etc.
But then again use what works for you...
My two cents.
Mike Douglass