Toz 35M grip removal?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark

Toz 35M grip removal?

Post by Mark »

As I don't have one in front of me, can anyone tell me the procedure to remove a grip from a Toz? How quickly/easily can this procedure be done?
I've come to the conclusion that I probably am not going to be able to afford a free pistol, but I'm hoping the coaches at the schools I shoot at might let me put my grip on a loaner (I'm a lefty). Shooting free pistol weak hand stinks.
Mark.

Re: Toz 35M grip removal?

Post by Mark. »

Hi Mark,
It's the other Mark. here. TOZ35 grip removal is easy - 4 screws hold it in place. There are two on each side of the grip which thread through the grip into the frame of the pistol.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you should know that across the long span of manufacture and huge number of these pistols which have been made, there is some variability in location of these four mounting holes. If you're going to borrow a pistol and mount your grips on it, be prepared to a chisel a wee bit out of your grips to make them fit the gun. Once this is done, I'm sure you'll appreciate the importance of getting the same gun every time so you don't have to modify your grips time and time again as you encounter different pistols.
The technique you're applying to free pistol shooting is the same one I used when starting out. I had a fellow who very kindly showed up at the range with his spare TOZ for me to use. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door with it using the factory grips. Then one day it was sporting a very nice custom-made grip which had been mounted on another gun he'd purchased. Wow, what a difference those grips made!
I now have a TOZ of my own, with Morini grips, as well as a couple of other free pistols, and enjoy shooting them regularly. Had it not been for the kindness of my friend in loaning me his pistol, I wouldn't be enjoying this sport today. Now my TOZ goes to the range with me every time as my "spare" gun, and has been shot by many new shooters who were either just curious to try free pistol, or thoroughly bitten by the bug to shoot but too broke to have a pistol of their own.

Cheers,
Mark.