Pcp pistol recommendation

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
thessler

Pcp pistol recommendation

Post by thessler »

Hi
I have never shot an air pistol and would like to give it a try in my basement.
I am looking at the Air Arms alfa prog pistol it's at about my max budget. Would this be a quality pistol ? There is a used one on e bay , no one seems to be buying it so that makes me a little cautious. At this point I'm just doing research before I buy so as to avoid a wrong purchase.
Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tom
renzo

Re: Pcp pistol recommendation

Post by renzo »

I know this post will look like one of Rover's, but if you never shot Olympic Pistol and what you want is to practice in your basement, have you considered the cost and hassle of using a PCP against one of the SSP in the market?

Price is usually considerably lower, and you only need the pistol, no tanks, no compressors, no manual pumps, no cardiac arrest............. and probably it'll take quite some time till you feel handicapped by your hardware, if ever.

For me, one of the great advantages of PCP is the loading ease and speed while shooting matches, when time is a concern. For the same reasosns, I'd still be shooting my CO2 Steyr LP-1 if it wasn't for the lack of loading facilities (don't know why, but nobody charges CO2 in my city anymore).Fatigue can also count, but that depends on your physical preparation.

Trust me, widen your choices considering a top quality, modern SSP.
thessler

Post by thessler »

Renso thanks but a few years ago I bought a ssp rifle and I never liked it. To be fair I was wearing a shooting coat and sling , but it was just to much of a hassle to pump it for every shot and then get back into position. So I ended up never using it. I realise a pistol is different but I don't want to make that mistake again.
Thanks, Tom
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you aren't interested in spending big bucks, but want an accurate pistol with a good trigger, try finding a used BRNO Tau-7. They use CO2, but you can use cartridges. You can buy a lifetime supply of cartridges for the cost of a SCUBA tank or a pump, and there's no hydro testing & tank filling hassles.
dugd

Post by dugd »

I understand your position on a spring loaded rifle but its hard to beat a Baikal izh 46m pistol for accuracy and ease of operation. They're quite quiet too.
dugd

Post by dugd »

Please excuse the spring loaded reference. What I meant was just a single pump.
thessler

Post by thessler »

The Baikal looks pretty nice with good reviews.
Can't find one for sale though, all the vendors I checked were out of stock.
Thanks, Tom
ba49

Post by ba49 »

Tom, I have a like new Alfa Proj I'm thinking of selling and would make you a good deal on it. It has no issues or scratches original box and everything it came with new. If your interested send me a private message. Bill
ba49

Post by ba49 »

sorry for the double post
Last edited by ba49 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dugd

Post by dugd »

I don't think they are imported to the States at this time because of the embargo. All I've ever seen is used ones. There is one for sale in the buy and sell section. They usually seem to go somewhere in the 450.00 to 500.00 range as far as I know.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

The Air Arms alfa proj is a good entry level pistol, but it’s not a first tier match pistol. Steyr, Morini, FWB, and Walther on the other hand, are the top 4 in terms of build quality and ergonomics. Practically any second hand air pistols from these manufacturers will be a fine choice.