25m pistol: coloured front sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
EdStevens

25m pistol: coloured front sight

Post by EdStevens »

So Rule 8.4.1.3 says that "Sights using fiber optic, light enhancing or reflecting color surfaces are prohibited." Does that mean that coloured sights are allowed if they are matte and not reflecting?
Gwhite

Re: 25m pistol: coloured front sight

Post by Gwhite »

I've been wondering about this too. One technique we use to help students focus on their front sights is a small random orange chalk mark on the back of the front sight blade. The idea isn't to make the entire sight orange, just to add a little "character" to it to help draw their focus. It's also easy to change if they get too used to a particular shaped mark.

It's primarily intended as a training aid, that (hopefully) they can outgrow once they learn to focus on their front sight reliably & naturally. However, some students are used to having it, and area reluctant to give it up, while others find their focus wandering if they don't have that extra visual assist.

It's not "light enhancing" or "fiber optic", and I'm not sure it qualifies as "reflecting", but I'm sure an official might decide otherwise.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Yeah, why didn't they just say sights have to be non-reflecting black and have done with it? I've been telling people that coloured sights aren't allowed, but I've had somebody point out that the rules don't actually say that. Has anybody seen a coloured front sight used in a major competition? Or have a definitive answer? Thanks.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The interpretation/clarification I received from the ISSF Technical Director is that fluorescent colours are not allowed. Normal colours are fine.