Firelapping

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Firelapping

Post by Rover »

I firelapped both my TOZ FP and one of my S&W41 barrels. In both cases, Ransom Rest testing showed an increase in accuracy.

Anyone else played with this?
JamesHH

Re: Firelapping

Post by JamesHH »

Probably just means you briefly had clean barrels.

I have firelapped to fix up revolver forcing cones/thread contrictions as a last resort, I wouldn't consider firelapping a .22.
Also cleaning after every shot is a no-brainer.

Otherwise JB bore paste gets your barrels fully clean and a lot more controllable and safer than firelapping.
Also gives a clear increase in accuracy, for a time.
trev

Post by trev »

Can i ask what is firelaping?
Rover

Post by Rover »

trev wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 am Can i ask what is firelaping?
It is embedding a projective (usually lead) with abrasive (valve grinding compound) and then firing it through your firearm.

This removes high spots and roughness in your bore. It is also frequently used to remove a constriction in a revolver forcing cone where a barrel has been crushed while being screwed into the frame.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

I have firelapped every gun l own and it always works.
My toz 35 got a pair of constrictions after only a few shots. I could clearly feel them with the nylonbrush on the cleaning rod, so l made that my first attempt
Valve grinding compound, fine, took care of that in 10 shots, but it is usually around 220grit, which is to coarse. I followed up with 200 rounds with chrome polish. Stopped when cleaning was easy and the groups went from 1,5 to 0,5 inch.
800 grit is mostly recommended. Get it.