Rika on USB to Serial?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Avianna

Rika on USB to Serial?

Post by Avianna »

Hi everyone,
I happen to have a laptop that does not have a serial port, so I am trying to figure out if there is a way of connecting the Rika to it, via a USB to serial adapters. I saw someone post a similar question a few months ago, but no answers. I am hoping that they found a way rather than giving up. The thing problem I see is, even if I get the USB to serial adapter, to the Rika software, it won't know to look out the USB port for the Rika, so it won't care that I've managed to connect the Rika to the notebook.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Avianna

trinity-at-candesign.com.45886.0
Robert

Re: Rika on USB to Serial?

Post by Robert »

There is sort of FAQ on the RIKA-Homepage. If I remember it right its under NEWS and pretty outdated. Last entry from March 2003 or so, but it should answer your question.
Hope that helps.
David

Re: Rika on USB to Serial?

Post by David »

I have had the same problem with our school's Noptel system. I replied to an early post concerning the same issue with a Rika with my solution. Get a Belkin USB to serial adaptor. HOwever, it did not seem to work for that person, but it might for you. I have found that turning on the computer and then plugging Noptel in with the Belkin and then starting the software works best.